B.C. Premier Eby says Canada won’t work if Ottawa favours separatist premiers

Advertisement

Advertise with us

VICTORIA - Canada cannot work if "separatist premiers" get all of the attention of the federal government, B.C. Premier David said Tuesday. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

VICTORIA – Canada cannot work if “separatist premiers” get all of the attention of the federal government, B.C. Premier David said Tuesday. 

Eby said that is the message he’ll relay to Prime Minister Mark Carney when they meet Wednesday after Carney met with Alberta Premier Danielle Smith last week to announce pipeline promises to the West Coast and a lower carbon tax for Alberta.

“The reality is that there is a very real and present threat of a referendum on separatism in Alberta, enabled by decisions made by the Albertan government,” Eby said, when asked how much of his comment about separatist premiers was aimed at Smith. 

B.C. Premier David Eby speaks during a press conference in front of the pitch for FIFA World Cup in Vancouver, B.C., on Tuesday, May 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns
B.C. Premier David Eby speaks during a press conference in front of the pitch for FIFA World Cup in Vancouver, B.C., on Tuesday, May 12, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

“I believe that that is part of why we are seeing the federal government engage differently with Alberta than other premiers across the country.”

Eby made the statement at an unrelated news conference outside the legislature in Victoria as he prepares for his meeting with the prime minister in Vancouver. 

Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith signed an agreement last week that could start the construction of a new pipeline to B.C.’s coast as early as next year and announced lower carbon pricing for the province of $130 per tonne by 2040. 

Friday’s announcement by Carney and Smith did not include details about a route, and it is not clear yet whether the announced carbon price will also apply to other provinces. 

Eby said he doesn’t understand how Ottawa’s carbon agreement with Alberta is going to be implemented across Canada, because national policies need to be negotiated with all premiers, not just one.

“The prime minister needs to answer for why he made that decision,” Eby said. “It’s not one I agree with.”

Eby said projects being advanced in B.C. are pro-Canadian, yet they are being left out of the discussion.

“Bluntly, we cannot have bad behaviour decide who gets engaged with by the federal government,” Eby said. “We need to stand up for Canada, and we need to make sure we are supporting every province and territory with equal respect and that is what will provide a unified country.”

Eby used Tuesday’s news conference to tout various provincial projects in need of federal support. 

“We have $88 billion in projects, 34 different major projects, 40 per cent of projects in the major projects office — real projects with proponents and routes, and ready to go,” Eby said. 

British Columbia, he added, just needs to see the same level of support that Alberta has seen from Carney.

“We need to do it together, and we need to have at least as much enthusiasm from the federal government for B.C. projects, as they (have) shown for Alberta projects.”

A spokesperson for the Prime Minister’s Office said in an emailed statement late Tuesday that it will work with all provinces and territories on getting “big things” built to benefit British Columbians and all Canadians.

The statement said one-third of projects and “transformative strategies” referred to the Major Projects Office are in B.C.

Trevor Halford, interim leader for the Conservative Party of B.C., said Eby’s comments were meant to improve his poll numbers.

“At the end of the day, he should be learning to be more co-operative and less obstructionist,” Halford told reporters in the legislature. “Unfortunately, there’s a disconnect in the relationship between the prime minister and the premier of B.C., and obviously, the premier is going to try and weaponize that like he did today,” Halford said on Tuesday. 

In the legislature on Tuesday, the B.C. Conservatives accused Eby of opposing the proposed pipeline to the detriment of British Columbia.

Eby and others NDP members in turn said the Conservatives were standing up for Alberta, while opposing projects like LNG Canada Phase 2 in Terrace, B.C. 

One of Eby’s sharpest hecklers was Conservative Claire Rattee, who represents the Terrace-area riding. 

Speaker Raj Chouhan asked Rattee to leave the chamber, following two direct warnings.

Rattee later apologized to Chouhan for disrespecting his authority, but then raised a point of order, saying that Eby knowingly misled the public about her party’s record on LNG.

Chouhan said he would consider Rattee’s point of order, but did not say when he would issue a ruling.

Rattee later told reporters that she was kicked out of the chamber for being argumentative with the speaker. 

“For me personally, this is a hill I am willing to die on,” she said. “I am fine with being kicked out of the chamber, if it means that I’m speaking the truth. What the premier did today was essentially disparage our entire caucus and claim that we were not supportive of LNG Canada.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 19, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

Province fogging in West St. Paul due to high counts of West Nile-carrying mosquitoes

Free Press staff 3 minute read 12:37 PM CDT

Manitoba Health will conduct a third round of fogging in the RM of West St. Paul due to high counts of a West Nile virus-carrying mosquito and a high infection rate in the area.

The province said spraying of the DeltaGard 20EW insecticide is scheduled to happen this weekend, as long as weather conditions are suitable, to reduce the risk of human exposure, which remains high.

The RM of West St. Paul will notify residents when the date is confirmed. The date will be published on the Manitoba Health’s website.

Manitoba has reported one confirmed and three probable human cases of West Nile virus in 2026. The confirmed case was in Prairie Mountain Health region in western Manitoba. Two probable cases were in Interlake-Eastern and one was in Southern Health.

Read
12:37 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026