Arson attempt at Montreal synagogue should be an ‘elbows up’ moment, rabbi says

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - The rabbi at a Montreal synagogue targeted by an attempted arson attack early Friday says the crime should be a rallying call for society to take antisemitism more seriously.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

MONTREAL – The rabbi at a Montreal synagogue targeted by an attempted arson attack early Friday says the crime should be a rallying call for society to take antisemitism more seriously.

Lisa Grushcow says it’s not the first time Temple Emanu-El-Beth Sholom has been a target, noting that someone painted a swastika on the building last year. 

She cited the recent fatal attack targeting Jews at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia and the stabbing of two Jewish men in North London as examples of what can happen if hate is allowed to escalate.

Rabbi Lisa Grushcow is seen near a burnt-out window at Temple Emanu-El-Beth-Sholom synagogue in Westmount, Que., on the Island of Montreal on Friday, June 5, 2026. The temple was targeted overnight in an arson attempt. Grushcow described the location as
Rabbi Lisa Grushcow is seen near a burnt-out window at Temple Emanu-El-Beth-Sholom synagogue in Westmount, Que., on the Island of Montreal on Friday, June 5, 2026. The temple was targeted overnight in an arson attempt. Grushcow described the location as "the room where Jewish life happens." THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi

“When we look at what’s gone on in Australia or in England, at every stage the community has said we need to take this seriously, and in every place it has not been taken seriously enough until people have been killed,” she said. “And we really don’t want to be on that path.”

Gruschcow said the fire appears to have been triggered by a Molotov cocktail, tossed at a window.

Montreal police say they were called to the house of worship in Westmount, Que., on the Island of Montreal, shortly after midnight and were able to put out the fire with the help of the fire department and local public security.

Police spokesman Jean-Pierre Brabant said witnesses led them to arrest a 38-year-old man who is expected to face charges following the incident, although it doesn’t appear the suspect will be charged with a hate crime. 

Brabant said the hate crimes unit was consulted, but he added that the investigation is being led by the arson squad.

The synagogue was empty at the time of the incident, according to police.

Grushcow said the synagogue’s administration has been taking steps to improve safety, and those paid off.

Reinforced windows meant the incendiary device didn’t penetrate the building, limiting the damage to a broken window, along with some interior and exterior smoke damage. She said Westmount public security also pay special attention to the building and intervened quickly, with the help of building staff.

“The takeaway here is that the systems that we have in place worked and this could have been much worse,” she said.

However, she said the community is shaken.

In a speech earlier this week, Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada’s Jewish population are facing “a surge of antisemitism to levels not seen in the postwar period.” He announced a new unity council that will assess what is driving antisemitism in Canada and improve research and data collection on hate incidents. 

Grushcow said she was glad to see Carney call out antisemitism, but believes Canada needs “more than a committee.” She said further action is needed on catching and prosecuting wrongdoers as well as “find(ing) ways to understand and to speak honestly about where this significant rise in antisemitism is coming from.”

For her part, she says her community plans to respond by not only continuing to practice their Jewish faith, but by doubling down on it.

“It’s an elbows up moment for us,” she said, borrowing a term Carney popularized. She said they will also continue to call on law enforcement and politicians to take antisemitism seriously. “Less talk, more action,” she said.

Jewish advocacy groups Federation CJA and CIJA said in a statement that the attempted arson is part of a “toxic antisemitic climate” that has left the community feeling unsafe.

“Enough is enough. The law must be enforced and order restored in Montreal,” they said.

Brabant says the police are working hard to protect people, including by making frequent patrols around houses of worship.

He says community members who have questions or fears can come to the police station or speak with patrol officers on the ground.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 5, 2026.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Updated: 10:15 AM CDT

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Updated: 10:15 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT