Former city councillor ‘a community champion’

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Harvey Smith, a former city councillor who served the West End for more than three decades, has died. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/03/2017 (3448 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Harvey Smith, a former city councillor who served the West End for more than three decades, has died. 

Smith, 80, died Sunday at Victoria Hospital after a short illness, according to a statement from the Canadian Union of Public Employees. He had been living in care since falling in his home last summer. 

“Harvey was a social justice activist his entire life,” said long-time friend, Paul Moist, a former leader of CUPE. “Harvey fought hard for affordable public transit and on a host of inner-city issues such as infrastructure and housing.”

Smith represented the Sargent Park ward from 1980 to 1986 and the Daniel McIntyre ward from 1998 until 2014. He was an NDP MLA in the Ellice constituency from 1986 to 1988. He was known as a community advocate and social activist.

“Earlier this year, I took Harvey to the re-opening of Sherbrook Pool. Smith fought against talk of closing the 80-year-old facility and was very proud that the refurbished facility remains open for inner-city families,” Moist said in a statement. 

Daniel McIntyre Coun. Cindy Gilroy said the re-opening of the Kinsmen Sherbrook Pool after being closed for four years is part of his legacy. She last saw him at the re-opening party on Feb. 18.

“The city could have gotten rid of that and he worked hard to keep those doors open,” she said in a phone interview Sunday night. “I got to see him at the Sherbrook Pool opening, so it was great he got to see his legacy open before he passed and was able to be there.”

Gilroy defeated Smith for his seat, but the lifelong West End resident said there was never any hard feelings between the two and she approached Smith before running to inform him of her plans.   

“We respected one another. We got along and felt similar about the community and there was no ill-will. He took on a lot of issues I am passionate about and he will be missed,” she said.

“He was really a community champion. He was somebody that advocated for the people in Daniel McIntyre. He really cared about his constituents.”

Janek Lowe / Winnipeg Free Press Files
Harvey Smith in 2010
Janek Lowe / Winnipeg Free Press Files Harvey Smith in 2010

Prior to his life in politics, Smith was a teacher and a school librarian in Winnipeg School Division No. 1. He was born in the city, but raised in British Columbia where he earned degrees from both the University of British Columbia and Simon Fraser University, according to CUPE.

Details will be announced later this week regarding a memorial service. 

Smith was known for returning constituents calls, but could rub some of his fellow councillors the wrong way. In 2013 he posted a set of fake street signs in his ward’s worst back lanes with the name of then mayor Sam Katz and members of the executive policy committee to draw attention to the poor condition of the laneways.

“If you want people to live in these wards, you have to maintain them,” Smith said at the time. “There are newer neighbourhoods across the city where money is being spent but not in these areas.”

Smith eventually convinced his council colleagues on the governance committee to cover the cost of the $1,600 as a ward expense.

In 2010, Smith lost support from the NDP to back him in the municipal election, instead choosing to devote its resources to Keith Bellamy, a constituency assistant to then Winnipeg Centre MP Pat Martin.

Smith said he was going to retire, but changed his mind and won the 2010 election, defeating Gilroy by 108 votes and Bellamy by 352 votes. 

He was also involved in a well publicized incident in 2007 when city health inspectors declared his Alverstone Street apartment unsanitary and “unfit for human habitation” after finding mouse droppings, a large accumulation of garbage, filth and “hoarding of items throughout the suite.”

John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press Files
Smith named crumbling back lanes in his ward after then-mayor Sam Katz and members of the executive policy committee.
John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press Files Smith named crumbling back lanes in his ward after then-mayor Sam Katz and members of the executive policy committee.

Local political leaders took to Twitter to talk about Smith’s death and offer their condolences. 

“Very saddened to learn of Harvey Smith’s passing. He was a committed civic & provincial leader, a passionate voice for the inner city,” said Mayor Brian Bowman.

“Condolences to friends & family of former City Councillor Harvey Smith, a man who truly devoted his life to public service #mbpoli #wpgpoli,” tweeted Premier Brian Pallister.

“Very saddened to hear of Harvey Smith’s passing, a tireless advocate for working people, former councillor and NDP MLA. He will be missed,” said interim NDP leader Flor Marcelino.

Coun. Jeff Browaty stated: “Sorry to hear about the passing of Harvey Smith. While we saw many things differently, he truly cared about the people he represented.”

Saint Boniface—Saint Vital MP Dan Vandal, a former Winnipeg city councillor, wrote: “RIP Harvey Smith, a tireless advocate for social justice & for Winnipeg.”

In a series of tweets, St. Boniface Coun. Matt Allard said: “Rest in peace Harvey Smith. My condolences to your family. You gave your life to public service and through dialogue made Winnipeg a better place. I had the honour of working with you at city hall, I will always remember your energy when you were passionate about an issue.”

BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Harvey Smith was a city councillor in the West End for more than 20 years. He died Sunday at the age of 80.
BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES Harvey Smith was a city councillor in the West End for more than 20 years. He died Sunday at the age of 80.
History

Updated on Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:01 PM CDT: adds twitter quotes

Updated on Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:20 PM CDT: adds tweets

Updated on Sunday, March 12, 2017 8:45 PM CDT: adds interview with cindy gilroy

Updated on Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:15 PM CDT: adds photos, background

Updated on Monday, March 13, 2017 10:36 AM CDT: Updates photos, captions.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Former city councillor ‘a community champion’

Rob Williams 5 minute read Preview

Former city councillor ‘a community champion’

Rob Williams 5 minute read Monday, Mar. 13, 2017

Harvey Smith, a former city councillor who served the West End for more than three decades, has died. 

Smith, 80, died Sunday at Victoria Hospital after a short illness, according to a statement from the Canadian Union of Public Employees. He had been living in care since falling in his home last summer. 

“Harvey was a social justice activist his entire life,” said long-time friend, Paul Moist, a former leader of CUPE. “Harvey fought hard for affordable public transit and on a host of inner-city issues such as infrastructure and housing.”

Smith represented the Sargent Park ward from 1980 to 1986 and the Daniel McIntyre ward from 1998 until 2014. He was an NDP MLA in the Ellice constituency from 1986 to 1988. He was known as a community advocate and social activist.

Read
Monday, Mar. 13, 2017

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
6:10 PM CDT

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Preview

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read 5:55 PM CDT

Over 250 competitors from 20 countries will descend on Paisley, Scotland, this week for the Natural Strongman Worlds. There the athletes will meet personal goals, test their endurance over a multiple-day event, and a winner from both the men’s and women’s division will be crowned the fittest of them all.

Selkirk’s own Tom Pachal will be competing in the under 80-kilogram weight class. Pachal has been surrounded by the fitness lifestyle his whole career, multitasking as a physiotherapist and owning the Iron Image Barbell Club in Selkirk.

“I’m very involved in the health, wellness, fitness, (and) rehabilitation community. I love being an overall active person and helping others,” Pachal said.

Starting off as a power lifter, Pachal was excited to transition over to the Strongman competitions, something that was less repetitive and more unpredictable.

Read
5:55 PM CDT