Uploading The Wall to virtual immortality

3D scan preserves digital future for Bruce Head’s at-risk sculpture below Portage and Main

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Late Monday evening, staff from the University of Manitoba descended underground with high-tech equipment to photograph the subterranean concourse at Portage and Main — and one wall in particular.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/02/2025 (563 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Late Monday evening, staff from the University of Manitoba descended underground with high-tech equipment to photograph the subterranean concourse at Portage and Main — and one wall in particular.

The Wall is a 127-metre-long concrete sculpture that spans the inner facade of the plaza, making it the longest in situ artwork in Canada. The public art piece, created by late Winnipeg artist Bruce Head, has been on display since 1979 but it may become inaccessible if the concourse is closed following the reopening of Portage and Main to pedestrians.

Upon learning of the sculpture’s uncertain future last spring, Jason Shields knew he could at least help preserve the artwork digitally.

LISBETH HILDEBRAND PHOTO
                                News of the uncertain future Bruce Head’s underground sculpture inspired Jason Shields to preserve the artwork digitally.

LISBETH HILDEBRAND PHOTO

News of the uncertain future Bruce Head’s underground sculpture inspired Jason Shields to preserve the artwork digitally.

“It’s always been very important to me to find ways to archive these spaces that are in question,” says the assistant professor of interior design at the U of M.

Shields is currently studying the use of 3D laser scanners in documenting architecturally and culturally significant spaces. The Wall conundrum presented an ideal opportunity to test his research in the real world.

Judy Waytiuk, Head’s widow, was delighted by the proposition.

“I’m really, really grateful,” says Waytiuk, who has been lobbying Winnipeg’s city council to consider the artwork in its pending decision to close the concourse. “It’s going to make it possible for The Wall to be put in front of art historians and art students and art faculties across the country, so it’s a really valuable addition to Canadian contemporary art history.”

Winnipeg Mayor Scott Gillingham has commissioned a feasibility study to assess the condition of the underground mall and, earlier this week, confirmed the concourse will remain open until that report is received.

On Monday night — beginning at 10:30 p.m. to avoid crowds — Shields and a half-dozen colleagues spent two hours meticulously capturing every metre of the circular concourse with a high-definition laser scanner.

The device is a small black pod that sits on a tripod and rotates 360 degrees, “kind of like an owl’s head,” says Shields.

When in use, the scanner shoots invisible lasers into its surroundings, simultaneously capturing photographs and distance measurements. Each scan takes several minutes to complete. The result is an accurate, highly detailed digital replica of a space.

LISBETH HILDEBRAND PHOTO
                                The 3D laser scanner used by Jason Shields rotates 360 degrees, ‘kind of like an owl’s head.’

LISBETH HILDEBRAND PHOTO

The 3D laser scanner used by Jason Shields rotates 360 degrees, ‘kind of like an owl’s head.’

Shields and his team collected approximately 25 scans of The Wall, which will be edited, stitched together and turned into a 3D file made publicly available online.

“One of the first and foremost reasons to archive that artwork is to be able to allow future generations to access it,” Shields says. “Through your browser, you would be transported to The Wall, you’d be able to zoom in, move around and take measurements.”

The file can also be processed through virtual reality software, opening the door to interactive exhibits.

Shields believes this technology can play a role in preserving civic history and hopes to conduct scans of other notable Winnipeg locales — especially those at risk of being decommissioned.

“There’s so many stories that are lost when a building is lost,” he says. “It’s very important that we have some form of archive of these (spaces) because often the drawings or records may be difficult to access.”

The digitization of The Wall is an independent project, funded through research grants previously received by Shields from the university and the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.

While Waytiuk is pleased to have the artwork archived, she’s disappointed by the lack of involvement by the city or the Winnipeg Arts Council, which had been tasked with looking into possible ways of preserving the sculpture.

“If it hadn’t been for the serendipitous fact of Jason’s project, there would be nothing,” she says.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Bruce Head’s widow, Judy Waytiuk is pleased to have the artwork archived.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES

Bruce Head’s widow, Judy Waytiuk is pleased to have the artwork archived.

Coun. Jeff Browaty, who hopes the concourse will remain open permanently, says, “spending a little bit of time and energy to digitally capture the Bruce Head piece is probably time and energy well spent.”

And tamara rae biebrich, WAC’s public art manager, says the council supports the effort and has offered to share the 3D rendering on its website.

“While the future of the Portage and Main concourse and this significant artwork remains uncertain, we’ve seen decommissioned public artworks in other cities successfully documented in similar ways,” biebrich says.

eva.wasney@winnipegfreepress.com

Eva Wasney

Eva Wasney
Reporter

Eva Wasney has been a reporter with the Free Press Arts & Life department since 2019. Read more about Eva.

Every piece of reporting Eva produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City blames bad weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames bad weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Updated: 1:17 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared.

The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

Read
Updated: 1:17 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

Climate change, capable ships could extend Churchill shipping season by months, studies show

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Updated: 5:14 PM CDT

Open-water ships can travel through the Port of Churchill for five months of the year, butthat could extend to seven months by 2100 — or up to 10 months, depending on climate change, researchers have found.

Read
Updated: 5:14 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: 11:19 AM CDT

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Elders bless, open city’s first urban all-season sweat lodge

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read 4:20 PM CDT

Indigenous Winnipeggers now have access to sweat lodge ceremonies all year long.

On Friday Ka Ni Kanichihk unveiled Winnipeg’s first urban, all-seasons sweat lodge. The organization will hold ceremonies throughout the year, giving people who live in the city equitable access to the sacred ritual.

“We’re now going to be able to offer ceremony for relatives that can’t access a sweat ceremony outside the city because of financial restraint or that kind of thing,” said Wally Chartrand, a cultural advisor for Ka Ni Kanichihk.

The sweat lodge itself is enclosed in a cedar-panelled building equipped with washrooms and benches. Outside the building is a fire pit enclosed with a seating area and plants which are used as traditional Indigenous medicine during the ceremonies.

Read
4:20 PM CDT