Guy Maddin in conversation with Bookworm host Michael Silverblatt at the News Café: Replay

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Radio broadcaster Michael Silverblatt has a reputation as one of America's première literary correspondents as the host of the talk show Bookworm on KCRW in Los Angeles.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/03/2013 (4906 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Radio broadcaster Michael Silverblatt has a reputation as one of America’s première literary correspondents as the host of the talk show Bookworm on KCRW in Los Angeles.

On Friday evening Silverblatt changed things up, and spoke in depth with Winnipeg filmmaker Guy Maddin about about art, incomprehensibility, death, authors and even Nazi film reels.

Maddin said he is an atypical subject for Silverblatt, who usually interviews authors.

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Archives
Director Guy Maddin has written to Mayor Sam Katz, pleading with him to reopen the Sherbrook Pool.
JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Archives Director Guy Maddin has written to Mayor Sam Katz, pleading with him to reopen the Sherbrook Pool.

“I sure didn’t write a book,” Maddin says.

“I have been on Michael’s show once before. The pop group Sparks and I are on the only two Bookworm shows that don’t feature writers,” Maddin says. “I’m very proud.”

Bookworm is distributed to more than 50 radio stations across the U.S. Its theme song was created for the show by Sparks.

You can watch the replay in the Livestream feed below.

History

Updated on Friday, March 22, 2013 9:27 PM CDT: updates with end of live

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

One more 50-plus yard kick for Castillo — for the record

Taylor Allen 5 minute read 5:33 PM CDT

After last Friday’s win over Ottawa, it was brought to Sergio Castillo’s attention that he had just made CFL history.

On Wednesday, however, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker found out that a mistake was made and that he still has some work to do.

Castillo drilled a 56-yard field goal at the end of the half which, at the time, was believed to be his 41st career 50-plus yarder which set a new league record.

Castillo, as one would, spoke about the accomplishment earlier in the week and reflected on his journey to the milestone.

Read
5:33 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT