Under-fire Olympic composer steps down over past bullying

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TOKYO - Keigo Oyamada, a Japanese composer working on the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, quit Monday after coming under fire for bullying classmates during his childhood.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/07/2021 (1858 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TOKYO – Keigo Oyamada, a Japanese composer working on the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, quit Monday after coming under fire for bullying classmates during his childhood.

“I sincerely accept the opinions and advice I have received, express my gratitude, and will keep them in mind for my future actions and thoughts,” he said on his Twitter and Facebook accounts.

“I apologize from the bottom of my heart.”

ADDS RESTRICTION: ONE TIME USE ONLY, EDITORIAL USE ONLY - IOC President Thomas Bach, right, meets with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, second from left, during a welcome party for Bach and IOC officials at Akasaka Palace, Japanese state guest house, in Tokyo, Japan, Sunday, July 18, 2021.(Courtesy of Tokyo 2020 via AP)
ADDS RESTRICTION: ONE TIME USE ONLY, EDITORIAL USE ONLY - IOC President Thomas Bach, right, meets with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, second from left, during a welcome party for Bach and IOC officials at Akasaka Palace, Japanese state guest house, in Tokyo, Japan, Sunday, July 18, 2021.(Courtesy of Tokyo 2020 via AP)

Reports of his past abuse of classmates, including those with disabilities, surfaced online recently and sparked a backlash on social media plus demands for Oyamada’s resignation.

Games organizers initially said he would stay on because he had shown remorse. Hours after Oyamada submitted his resignation, they reversed their position and called his actions “absolutely unacceptable.” They said their earlier decision to let Oyamada stay on in light of his apology, and the short time left before the opening ceremony, was “wrong.”

“We offer our deepest apologies for the offence and confusion caused to so many during this time,” organizers said in a statement.

Organizing committee chief, Seiko Hashimoto, told reporters that she regretted organizers’ earlier handling. “I wish I had been aware of the problem at an earlier stage, and I wish we had responded more quickly.”

“This Olympics is based on a vision of diversity and harmony,” Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike said. “Taking that into consideration, I hope to have the games that is attentive to human rights.”

Oyamada, 52, also known as Cornelius, apologized online last week.

Some critics had said he should hold a news conference and apologize in person. Others questioned why he hadn’t apologized earlier.

Japanese composer Keigo Oyamada is seen in this Oct. 2006, photo. Oyamada, a Japanese composer working on the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, resigned on Monday, July 19, 2021, after coming under fire for bullying a classmate during his childhood.(Kyodo News via AP)
Japanese composer Keigo Oyamada is seen in this Oct. 2006, photo. Oyamada, a Japanese composer working on the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony, resigned on Monday, July 19, 2021, after coming under fire for bullying a classmate during his childhood.(Kyodo News via AP)

Oyamada, whose works have been compared with the American rock musician Beck, talked about the abuse in Japanese magazine interviews he gave in the 1990s.

In a statement on Sunday, Atsuko Kubo, head of an association of families of the mentally disabled, “strongly protested” against Oyamada’s past actions and said it was disturbing he had targeted the disabled, who were less likely to fight back, and that he still bragged about it years later.

Earlier Monday, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said Oyamada’s past bullying goes against government policy of achieving an inclusive society and “cannot be tolerated.”

A segment of the music Oyamada composed for Friday’s opening ceremony will not be used, and the musician will be also removed from his planned role in the Paralymics opening event, organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto told reporters at a late night news conference Monday.

Friday’s ceremony will be held without spectators in an effort to curb the spread of coronavirus infections, although some officials, guests and media will attend.

The resignation comes as Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga’s government faces criticism for prioritizing the Olympics despite the public’s health concerns amid the resurgence of the infections.

Oyamada’s is the latest resignation to plague the Games. Yoshiro Mori resigned as organizing committee president over remarks perceived as sexist. Hiroshi Sasaki also stepped down as creative director for the opening and closing ceremonies after suggesting a Japanese actress should dress as a pig.

ADDS RESTRICTION: ONE TIME USE ONLY, EDITORIAL USE ONLY - IOC President Thomas Bach, right, meets with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, second from left, during a welcome party for Bach and IOC officials at Akasaka Palace, Japanese state guest house, in Tokyo, Japan, Sunday, July 18, 2021.(Courtesy of Tokyo 2020 via AP)
ADDS RESTRICTION: ONE TIME USE ONLY, EDITORIAL USE ONLY - IOC President Thomas Bach, right, meets with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, second from left, during a welcome party for Bach and IOC officials at Akasaka Palace, Japanese state guest house, in Tokyo, Japan, Sunday, July 18, 2021.(Courtesy of Tokyo 2020 via AP)

___

Yuri Kageyama is on Twitter https://twitter.com/yurikageyama

Mari Yamaguchi at https://www.twitter.com/mariyamaguchi

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

Under-fire Olympic composer steps down over past bullying

Yuri Kageyama And Mari Yamaguchi, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Under-fire Olympic composer steps down over past bullying

Yuri Kageyama And Mari Yamaguchi, The Associated Press 4 minute read Monday, Jul. 19, 2021

Stock surges and setbacks for the week ending July 16, 2021.

Read
Monday, Jul. 19, 2021

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT