Stone Temple Pilots headline second Rock on the Range
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/03/2010 (5996 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Rock on the Range is returning.
The second-annual edition of the modern-rock festival will take place Aug. 7 at Canad Inns Stadium with reunited alt-rock group Stone Temple Pilots serving as the headliners.
The group kicked off their current tour Friday with a show at the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas. They will release a new self-titled album on May 25.
Other confirmed acts include Godsmack, Buckcherry, Clutch, Three Days Grace, the Trews, Finger 11, Crash Karma, Rev Theory, Danko Jones, Arkells and Domenica. Tickets for the day-long festival go on sale March 27 for $39.50, $69.50 and $79.50 at Ticketmaster.
The festival took place in June last year, attracting 12,000 paid fans who toughed it out through a rainy, cold day to see bands such as Billy Talent, Rancid, Rise Against and Shinedown. The unpredictable weather is one of the reasons organizers decided to move the event to August this year.
“We might lose some people to the beaches and such, but the payoff is better weather. The goal of this style of show is to build it, grow it and allow it to become an annual target for fans and a rite of passage for new fans,” said Kevin Donnelly, MTS Centre general manager and senior vice-president.
True North Sports & Entertainment, which runs the MTS Centre, is producing the show with the Winnipeg Football Club and Right Arm Entertainment. Right Arm runs the original Rock on the Range in Columbus, Ohio.
The Winnipeg event is smaller than the two-day Columbus show, but Donnelly hopes it will grow to become a destination for music fans within a one-day drive. There are plans in the works to have it run for the next several years.
“In a perfect world we’ll see this grow in attendance and become a multi-day event, he says.
“These things are great summer gathering places.”
rob.williams@freepress.mb.ca