Bonify executives fired over ‘unauthorized’ cannabis sold in Saskatchewan

Front-line employees felt "bullied and threatened" by management: consultant

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Three executives have been turfed from licensed cannabis producer Bonify, following an internal investigation into how the troubled Winnipeg firm sold "unauthorized" product through government-licensed marijuana stores in Saskatchewan, the company said Thursday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/12/2018 (2791 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Three executives have been turfed from licensed cannabis producer Bonify, following an internal investigation into how the troubled Winnipeg firm sold “unauthorized” product through government-licensed marijuana stores in Saskatchewan, the company said Thursday.

During a news conference at Bonify’s headquarters, the consultant hired to investigate the company and take over its management said his probe found “irregularities pertaining to the recalled product.”

“Specifically, a forensic investigation shows that 200 kilograms of product, which was available for sale in Saskatchewan only, was unauthorized product for sale,” said George Robinson, chief executive officer of RavenQuest BioMed Inc.

Robinson stopped short of describing the cannabis, which was sold in Saskatchewan in November and recalled on Dec. 7, as “illegal.” (That’s how a source described it in the Free Press report that broke the story a week ago.)

“It was procured in a manner not through the normal purchasing requirements laid out in the regulations,” said Robinson, whose company produced an internal report on the incident that was not shared with media.

The report didn’t determine where the “unauthorized” cannabis came from, he said. “I can tell you right now: no one in here and in our investigation could actually tell you where the source of the material came from.”

Of the unauthorized marijuana Bonify shipped to Saskatchewan, 52 packages weighing 3.5 grams each were sold at stores, Robinson said, adding those products might pose a health risk.

“The first recall was due to inconsistencies in the product, from different reasons from microbials being out of specification, yeast and mould, and… (the) unconfirmed presence of E. Coli.”

A second recall of Bonify cannabis sold in Manitoba was due to unrelated issues, according to Robinson, and none of the unauthorized product was sold in the province.

There are no health concerns related to Bonify products sold in Manitoba, Robinson said.

Those products were yanked off store shelves last week by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba and Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries Corp.

On Christmas Eve, Bonify issued a voluntary recall through Health Canada of 14 lots of products sold in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. The recall notice cited “record-keeping issues with production documents” in some cases, and inaccurate labelling in others.

“We said, ‘We are going to take everything that would not pass a Health Canada audit, and we’re going to take that out of the system,'” said Robinson. “It had nothing to do with safety of the product, it had to do with record-keeping.”

Robinson said the three executives let go were terminated with cause, but refused to name them for privacy reasons. An executive assistant was also terminated without cause, he said, and an unnamed board member has been suspended.

Before this incident, the cannabis industry consultant said, Bonify “had a stellar record of record-keeping and reporting.”

But a recent, unspecified “cultural change” in the organization “created many irregularities across the whole internal and external supply chain,” said Robinson, especially right before legalization Oct. 17.

“And there seemed to be a lot more pressure coming in right after that, (which led) the company to make very poor decisions in the processing of paperwork and poor choices in trying to meet supply agreements.”

Staff at Bonify had raised concerns about the product, according to Robinson, and informed senior management, as well as the board of the private company.

George Robinson stopped short of describing the cannabis, which was sold in Saskatchewan in November and recalled on Dec. 7, as
George Robinson stopped short of describing the cannabis, which was sold in Saskatchewan in November and recalled on Dec. 7, as "illegal." (Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press)

“The front-line workers were trying to do their job, and there was others who were instructing to them to not follow the regulations,” he said. “And that got us to the point where we’re at today.”

Robinson later said his investigation found some employees “felt bullied and threatened” after speaking out. 

Health Canada told the Free Press it received an emailed complaint about Bonify in November, but Robinson said he didn’t know whether it was an employee who had alerted the federal regulator.

Robinson said a redacted copy of his internal report has been shared with federal and provincial cannabis regulators in Manitoba, who may continue the investigation further.

A spokeswoman for the LGCA confirmed the provincial cannabis retail regulator received the report “as a courtesy,” but said an investigation would fall under the regulatory purview of Health Canada. A spokesman for MLL said the provincial cannabis wholesaler is not investigating Bonify for the same reason.

A Health Canada spokesman said the department is “currently assessing all available information, including the information provided by the company related to their internal investigation.”

“As the situation remains under review, we will determine the appropriate compliance and enforcement next steps once all the facts have been thoroughly examined,” wrote the spokesman, who added that local law enforcement is aware of this situation.

In the meantime, Robinson said Bonify will keep its Health Canada licences to produce and sell medical cannabis, but will be under “critical observation” from the regulator, which means unannounced audits.

Robinson said Bonify’s non-medical cannabis has only been sold in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, to his knowledge. It might be some time before the company’s products are on store shelves once again, he said.

“I think there’s no doubt that when something like this happens, you’re going to have to rebuild trust again.”

solomon.israel@theleafnews.com
Twitter: @sol_israel

History

Updated on Thursday, December 27, 2018 6:04 PM CST: adds comment from LGCA

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Preview

Take advantage of hydroelectric potential

Jerry Storie 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba Hydro tells us that we are going to need significant new electricity generation over the coming decades.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

An ambassador, a petition and 213,000 signatures

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

You have to admit, they have a point.

As of 7 a.m. on Monday, 209,909 Canadians had signed it. By 9:41 a.m., that number had reached 211,846. By 10:54 a.m., 213,124. And there are months left to sign.

It is an electronic petition to have the U.S. Ambassador to Canada, Pete Hoekstra, ousted and sent back to Trump’s America.

The reasons? Well, ambassadors are meant to represent the national positions of their governments and you could argue that Hoekstra is doing exactly that: his blunt pronouncements on things such as Canadian sovereignty sound very much like the words of one Donald Trump, President of the United States.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT