‘He was ready to go’

Trailblazing pastor opts for medical assistance in dying

Advertisement

Advertise with us

As a pastor, professor and leader in the Manitoba and Canadian Mennonite Brethren church, former Winnipegger John Regehr was a trailblazer.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/08/2020 (2188 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

As a pastor, professor and leader in the Manitoba and Canadian Mennonite Brethren church, former Winnipegger John Regehr was a trailblazer.

With encouragement from his wife, Mary, he embraced feminism in the 1950s — long before it became acceptable in the denomination.

As a Bible college professor from the 1960s to 1990s, he promoted an inclusive and accepting kind of Christianity that put him at odds with some of members of the denomination.

Submitted
John Regehr
Submitted John Regehr

As pastor, he was open and candid about his personal and theological questions and struggles at a time when people expected church leaders to always be confident and strong.

So, it isn’t surprising Regehr, 93, continued his trailblazing ways when he chose medical assistance in dying (MAID) last November.

“He was ready to go,” says his son, Rennie, a retired music professor and former first violist with the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. “He had lived a full life. He knew it was time.”

For Regehr, a member of the McIvor Mennonite Brethren Church in North Kildonan, the last few years had been difficult. Mary died in 2014. At the age of 90 he needed life-saving heart surgery.

The surgery went well, but a few months later he fell and broke his hip. He recovered, continuing to live independently. But over the next few years there were more falls and more trips to emergency.

On Oct. 18, he was admitted to Concordia Hospital with severe pain in his hip. This time it was clear he would never be able to go back home again.

“He was exhausted. He had no more projects and didn’t want to stay alive for the only purpose of remaining alive,” says Rennie. “He didn’t want to lie in bed for who knows how long, waiting for death to come.”

On Nov. 1, he called his children together for a conversation about death. “He asked us if it was OK for him to die,” Rennie says. “He wanted our support and blessing.”

Regehr’s other son, Mark, admits he was taken aback at first. “I was caught off guard when he suggested it,” he says. “But I quickly saw his point of view.”

While finding it hard to hear his request, daughter Jenny was not surprised; her dad had spoken many times about being ready to die. “He had made his mind up,” she says.

When Regehr asked medical staff about ways to hasten his dying, they suggested he stop eating — an option that didn’t appeal to him. What about MAID; was he eligible? It turned out he was.

“His face lit up,” Rennie says, remembering his reaction upon hearing he qualified.

While the news put Regehr at ease, his family worried his decision might cast a pall over their dad’s life of service to the church.

As Jenny put it, she was supportive of her dad’s decision but concerned about the reaction of others. “I worried this would define his life’s work,” she says.

But when they saw how convinced he was, they offered their full support.

Since Concordia doesn’t allow MAID, on Nov. 7 Regehr was moved by ambulance to Health Sciences Centre.

In his hospital room, Regehr was joined by his family and two pastor friends. Scripture was read and he was asked: “John, can anything separate you from the love of Christ?”

He shook his head emphatically and with a strong voice answered: “No!”

Then, as Rennie played one of his favourite hymns on the viola, Regehr slipped away.

For Rennie, it was a powerful experience.

“To see my dad surrounded by people who loved him deeply, lovingly participating in a compassionate, painless, and comfortable death was overwhelming. It was wrenching and beautiful all at the same time,” he says.

Looking back, the children agree MAID was the right thing for their dad. “He was ready to go,” says Jenny.

As for the church he served for so long, they say their father wanted his decision to start a discussion in his denomination about death and dying.

“When we asked if he wanted us to share this, he said yes,” says Jenny. “I saw his decision as the professor giving his last teaching, or the pastor preaching his last sermon,” says Mark.

For those who might question Regehr’s decision on theological grounds — that only God can decide when someone should die — Rennie says his dad had no doubts.

“The inner work had been done long before,” he says, noting his dad had spent a lot of time thinking and praying about it. “He had complete trust in a loving and accepting God.”

Plus, he adds, his dad “felt he had already played God earlier by deciding to have life-saving heart surgery. He felt death had already come calling for him then, but he had not been willing to go.”

Before he died, Regehr anticipated some might be critical of his decision based on pro-life grounds. He told his kids that anyone who insisted he should have continued in a “torturous, useless struggle to survive” might not really be pro-life from a caring, compassionate point of view, “but more a slave to that ideology.”

Looking back, Rennie says “my dad died in dignity, surrounded by the love of the people he had invited to his passage. He died in a way that was congruent with his theology, with his experience of and with God. And his decision was aligned with who he was as a trailblazer, living slightly ahead of the curve, as a person who thought through issues deeply, and as a person living — and willing to die — by his principles and convictions.”

As for Mark, he has decided to honour and remember his father by having something his dad said tattooed on his arm. “My wings are poised. I’m ready for flight,” it says.

“It’s what he said when the doctor asked if he was ready to die,” Mark says.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Province officially recognizes arboriculture as a trade

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Province officially recognizes arboriculture as a trade

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read 6:19 PM CDT

Arboriculture has officially been recognized as a trade in Manitoba, which industry experts say will help address the increased demand for tree experts across the province.

Read
6:19 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Peguis Trail Health and Fitness Centre in North Kildonan was first expected to welcome visitors back within a few weeks when it shut down due to plumbing problems on Oct. 28.

But in February, the city’s website noted a much later reopening date of Oct. 2 after mould was discovered when crews attempted to upgrade the floors.

The city has since hired a consultant to assess the site’s condition, determine what repairs must be done and estimate how much the work would cost, including mould abatement.

Read
5:29 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
5:35 PM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.