Local faith groups gather aid for Ukraine

Advertisement

Advertise with us

FAITH-related relief groups in Manitoba are appealing for donations and prayers to help people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/03/2022 (1636 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

FAITH-related relief groups in Manitoba are appealing for donations and prayers to help people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Mennonite Central Committee is accepting donations for programs that support displaced and vulnerable people. This includes emergency housing, food, blankets and other supplies, as well as trauma healing.

“We are working with our partners and assessing the situation as it unfolds,” said Scott Campbell, MCC director of development.

Response to the appeal has been “super encouraging” so far, he said, noting MCC began more than 100 years ago in Ukraine when North American Mennonites responded to a food crisis in the eastern European country.

“Our supporters recognize our historical connection to Ukraine,” he said. (To make a donation, visit www.mcc.org or call 1-877-684-1181.)

Canadian Lutheran World Relief is inviting donations for food, necessities and trauma care for people impacted by the invasion.

“The numbers of displaced people are staggering,” said David Turner, who directs communications and marketing, adding the agency is in contact with its partners in Europe about the most effective ways to distribute the aid.

One partner in Hungary has already shipped 28 tonnes of food for refugees, he said.

The response to the appeal, which launched Feb. 25, has been positive, with about $100,000 already donated. (To donate, visit www.clwr.org or call 1-800-661-2597.)

Roman Catholics are invited to respond to needs in Ukraine through Development and Peace-Caritas Canada, which is working with its partners in the region to provide food, shelter, medical care and transportation to safe locations for people in that country.

“As the conflict goes on, much more funding will be required to meet Ukrainians’ needs,” the agency said, asking Canadians to “give generously.” (Donations can be made at www.devp.org or by calling 1-888-664-3387.)

The Jewish Federation of Winnipeg has launched an appeal to help the 200,000 members of the Ukrainian Jewish community.

“The entire country faces chaos, scarcity and political violence, and members of Ukraine’s Jewish community are especially vulnerable,” said Elaine Goldstine, chief executive officer of the federation.

Many members of the local Jewish community trace their roots to Ukraine, Goldstine said, including herself — her father was born in that country.

“We want to show the Ukrainian community in Winnipeg we stand with them at this time of crisis,” she said. “What is happening in Ukraine is so sad.”

Within minutes of posting the appeal on social media donations started to come in, Goldstine said, adding funds raised through the federation will be forwarded to Jewish agencies working on the ground in Ukraine. (Donations can be made by visiting jewishwinnipeg.org/ukraine or by calling 204-477-7400.)

Canadian Foodgrains Bank is working through its members to respond to the crisis. A list of its member agencies that have launched appeals for Ukraine can be found on its website.

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:19 AM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Local faith groups gather aid for Ukraine

John Longhurst 3 minute read Tuesday, Mar. 1, 2022

FAITH-related relief groups in Manitoba are appealing for donations and prayers to help people affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Mennonite Central Committee is accepting donations for programs that support displaced and vulnerable people. This includes emergency housing, food, blankets and other supplies, as well as trauma healing.

“We are working with our partners and assessing the situation as it unfolds,” said Scott Campbell, MCC director of development.

Response to the appeal has been “super encouraging” so far, he said, noting MCC began more than 100 years ago in Ukraine when North American Mennonites responded to a food crisis in the eastern European country.

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT