Manitoba’s first supervised consumption site to fully open Aug. 11

Advertisement

Advertise with us

WINNIPEG - The Manitoba government says the province's first supervised drug consumption site is set to fully open on Aug. 11.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

WINNIPEG – The Manitoba government says the province’s first supervised drug consumption site is set to fully open on Aug. 11.

It says its partners at Aboriginal Health and Wellness are training staff as part of a gradual opening.

The government says the site will be open between Tuesday and Saturday from late morning to early evening to reduce potential harms and connect people to support services.

Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Minister Bernadette Smith speaks to media in Winnipeg, Monday, Nov. 17, 2025, at the soon to be opened protective care centre also known as a sobering centre. THE CANADIAN PRESS/David Lipnowski
Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Minister Bernadette Smith speaks to media in Winnipeg, Monday, Nov. 17, 2025, at the soon to be opened protective care centre also known as a sobering centre. THE CANADIAN PRESS/David Lipnowski

The site in central Winnipeg has been criticized by some business owners and residents concerned about security and access by minors.

The Opposition Progressive Conservatives have also been against the site, saying the government should focus on treatment.

The government has said a supervised consumption site is needed to address the growing number of overdose deaths in Winnipeg and reduce the number of people openly using drugs.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 28, 2026. 

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

Manitoba’s first supervised consumption site to fully open Aug. 11

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Preview

Manitoba’s first supervised consumption site to fully open Aug. 11

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Tuesday, Jul. 28, 2026

WINNIPEG - The Manitoba government says the province's first supervised drug consumption site is set to fully open on Aug. 11.

It says its partners at Aboriginal Health and Wellness are training staff as part of a gradual opening.

The government says the site will be open between Tuesday and Saturday from late morning to early evening to reduce potential harms and connect people to support services.

The site in central Winnipeg has been criticized by some business owners and residents concerned about security and access by minors.

Read
Tuesday, Jul. 28, 2026

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

They are widely considered to be, as the timeless adage reminds, our best friends. In most cases and contexts, there’s almost nothing we wouldn’t do to ensure they’re safe, healthy and happy.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.