The Latest: US backs reform efforts at UN health agency

Advertisement

Advertise with us

LONDON - The Latest on the World Health Organization trying to rein in travel abuses (all times local):

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/05/2019 (2648 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

LONDON – The Latest on the World Health Organization trying to rein in travel abuses (all times local):

2:50 p.m.

The United States, the biggest contributor to the World Health Organization, says it supports efforts by the agency’s chief to restructure and find reforms in the organization’s budget.

FILE - In this Thursday, March 14, 2019 file photo, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) speaks at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland about the update on WHO Ebola operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals.(Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP, File)
FILE - In this Thursday, March 14, 2019 file photo, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO) speaks at the European headquarters of the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland about the update on WHO Ebola operations in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals.(Martial Trezzini/Keystone via AP, File)

Internal documents obtained by the Associated Press show WHO spent nearly $192 million on travel expenses last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the agency’s own rules by travelling in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and travelling without required approval.

Asked about WHO’s travel expenses on the sidelines of the U.N. health agency’s annual assembly, U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services Alex Azar said Monday the United States did not have specific concerns but was “supportive” of efforts by its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, to restructure the agency.

Azar told reporters at the U.S. mission in Geneva that “we remain supportive of continued efforts to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the WHO.” He says Tedros “has our support and backing, but continued efforts of reform are needed.”

___

1 p.m.

The World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel expenses last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the agency’s own rules by travelling in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and travelling without the required approvals, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press.

FILE - In this Tuesday April, 16, 2019 file photo, an Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment center in Beni, Eastern Congo. Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, file)
FILE - In this Tuesday April, 16, 2019 file photo, an Ebola health worker is seen at a treatment center in Beni, Eastern Congo. Internal documents by The Associated Press show the World Health Organization spent nearly $192 million on travel last year, with staffers sometimes breaking the rules by flying in business class, booking expensive last-minute tickets and traveling without the required approvals. (AP Photo/Al-hadji Kudra Maliro, file)

The abuses could spook potential donors and partners as the organization begins its week-long annual meeting Monday in Geneva, seeking increased support to fight a devastating outbreak of Ebola in Congo and other deadly diseases including polio, malaria and measles.

The nearly $192 million is down 4% from 2017, when the agency pledged to rein in travel abuses following an AP investigation. But auditors found some WHO staffers were brazenly misrepresenting the reasons for their travel.

In response, WHO said “travel is often essential to reaching people in need” and noted more than half of its travel spending was on experts and country representatives

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Ignore gossip, be good till girlfriend’s back

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I am lonely to the bone. My girlfriend has been away working for the summer, and I promised I wouldn’t cheat on her. But now I have heard through the grapevine she’s seeing a guy who works at her kids’ camp.

I think the source can be trusted, because she’s a friend who cares about me, almost like a sister. Actually I think she kind of wants me herself, but never seems to cross that line. Should I believe her “inside information” when she might be wanting to go out with me herself?

My girlfriend won’t be back until the very end of August and the messages and phone calls back and forth have been less and less frequent. Maybe she’s just busy or getting rested up to see me — or maybe she’s seeing someone else. I’m feeling jealous and I hate it! Maybe I should see somebody else too. Please advise ASAP.

— Lonely and Suspicious, Transcona

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 2:48 PM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar stood with Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc in Washington on Wednesday and touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident that the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S. He was set to brief his cabinet and Canada's premiers Wednesday afternoon.

Read
Updated: 2:48 PM CDT

IIU report concludes WPS officer’s actions reasonable in non-lethal 2024 shooting

Free Press staff 3 minute read Preview

IIU report concludes WPS officer’s actions reasonable in non-lethal 2024 shooting

Free Press staff 3 minute read 1:45 PM CDT

An armed and barricaded suspect told a Facebook live video stream he “would like to be shot to death” before a Winnipeg police officer shot him with three non-lethal beanbag rounds.

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba, a civilian police watchdog, on Wednesday released its final report into the Feb. 26, 2024 incident on Worthington Avenue in St. Vital.

The IIU concluded in September 2024 the officer’s actions were reasonable, but the 11-page report was on hold until the suspect’s charges were dealt with in court.

“Given the totality of the circumstances, the outcome of this incident could have ended in a much more serious manner,” then-IIU civilian director Roxanne Gagné wrote. She did not recommend criminal charges against the officer.

Read
1:45 PM CDT

Brandon’s gas plant: a health decision

Riley De Blonde and Scott Blyth 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine a Manitoba in which our lives are powered by clean, affordable electricity that Manitobans own and which doesn’t pollute the air and water we depend on.

That future is within reach and, as doctors, we know it would protect people’s health now and for many generations.

Instead, Manitoba Hydro wants to spend $3 billion on three new gas-fired turbines in Brandon.The Public Utilities Board is now considering this proposal, before our provincial leaders make a final decision that could lock us into burning harmful fossil fuels for decades.

Every day doctors witness the toll of air pollution, hotter summers and smokier skies on our patients — the child struggling through an asthma attack in the emergency room, the senior dangerously overheating during a heat wave. These health crises are not inevitable. They are the consequence of decisions, by governments and corporations, to keep burning fossil fuels.

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT