Wall collapse won’t delay new stadium: Bombers CEO
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel anytime.
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/05/2012 (4034 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The collapse of a small wall at the under-construction home of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will not impact the team’s move into the new facility this September.
Strong winds knocked over a partially-constructed wall in a concession area of its administration building Monday night.
“While this may affect the timing of moving our business side into the new stadium due to repairs to the building, this will not set us back in our plan to open September 21st, or with best circumstances, September 9,” said Garth Buchko, the team’s president and CEO.
Earlier this month, team officials confirmed the Bombers will play at least five games in the soon-to-be-mothballed Canad Inns Stadium after construction delays at Investors Group Field pushed back the opening date.
Construction officials previously said strong winds have contributed to the delay.
Mike Clynes, project director at Stuart Olson Dominion, said crews cannot install steel beams when winds are blustery. He said there were no other reports of damage at the new stadium due Monday night.