City could freeze water rates if high usage continues Nearly $70M in unexpected revenue poured in last year

A surge in water use boosted city revenues in 2025 and, if it continues, might help ease the pinch of future utility bill hikes.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A surge in water use boosted city revenues in 2025 and, if it continues, might help ease the pinch of future utility bill hikes.

The City of Winnipeg has long warned Winnipeggers could pay much more to turn on their taps and flush their toilets in future years, since water and sewer rates will help fund a nearly $3.1-billion upgrade to the north end sewage treatment plant.

However, water use shot up 8.1 per cent last year, raising $67 million more revenue than expected, a financial update noted.

People clear snow after an overnight storm in Winnipeg on Dec. 18, 2025. The cost of snow-clearing is one of the main reasons for the city's $14.3-million deficit. (John Woods / The Canadian Press files)
People clear snow after an overnight storm in Winnipeg on Dec. 18, 2025. The cost of snow-clearing is one of the main reasons for the city's $14.3-million deficit. (John Woods / The Canadian Press files)

Coun. Jeff Browaty said the city will review water and sewer rates going forward to see if freezing them could be an option in future years.

“It is quite a bit of additional revenue … We’ll be able to, perhaps, pay for a little bit more of (the north end plant upgrade) with cash, as opposed to having to borrow (money). And, maybe, there’s an opportunity to review rates going forward as well,” said Browaty, city council’s finance chairman.

The city links the increased water use to multiple factors, including population growth, dry summer weather and more accurate billing (due to more old meters being replaced).

The drier summer led people to water lawns and gardens more, while Winnipeg’s population has grown steadily over the past three years, said Browaty (North Kildonan).

The city will closely monitor water use to figure out if last year’s surge was an anomaly or continuing trend, which will help determine if rates can hold steady, he said.

“This is certainly a positive variance. (And) when it comes to affordability for residents, last year’s (water and sewer rate) increases hit people hard,” said Browaty.

On April 1, 2025, a hefty sewer rate hike of $168.03 for a sample household took effect for the rest of the year. The same day, Winnipeg’s annual per-home garbage fee rose to $254 (prorated to $190.50) from $93 the previous year. The property tax also rose 5.95 per cent last year, which cost a sample home $386.50 more.

Later in 2025, city council approved another $44 increase to the annual water and sewer rate, which was effective Jan. 1, and a $68 hike to follow in 2027.

A city news release also indicated future rates will be reviewed following the increased water use.

“It is quite a bit of additional revenue.”

“This budget variance will be used to fund significant capital investments, such as the north end (sewage) treatment plant, reducing the need for debt. We will consider changes in water billing or consumption habits as part of our annual review of water rates,” it stated.

The revenue boost was noted in a broader city budget update.

Overall, the City of Winnipeg ended 2025 with a $14.3-million deficit in its tax-supported operating budget, based on unaudited numbers up to Dec. 31 of last year.

The shortfall will be covered by the city’s financial stabilization reserve, which will drop to $25.9 million after that transfer, well below a council-imposed minimum balance of $85.1 million set for that year.

Browaty noted the stabilization reserve was greatly depleted during the COVID-19 pandemic and has only partially recovered since.

A finance report blames the 2025 deficit on a late-year surge in snow-clearing costs, reduced planning, property and development revenues and an unbudgeted legal settlement payment, among other cost pressures.

In October, city council approved a $7-million settlement in lawsuits filed by three First Nations men who were wrongfully convicted of killing a restaurant worker in 1973.

Finance officials note city departments also met a collective target to save $51.8 million during 2025.

Cost-cutting measures, debt deferral, the removal of the federal carbon tax and a boost in interest rate earnings helped meet that target.

“This is certainly a positive variance.”

The figure included $20.5 million of vacancy management savings, as well as $26.2 million of savings from other cost-cutting measures and a separate $5.1-million savings target met by the Winnipeg Police Service.

Winnipeg’s planning, property and development department came in $6.1 million over budget, largely because its revenues fell short of expectations. The public works department fell $2.4 million short for the year, largely due to the cost to clear heavy snowfall in December.

Other losses from the city’s asset and project management department and the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service added to the deficit.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

@joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, April 13, 2026 4:48 PM CDT: Adds clarification

Updated on Monday, April 13, 2026 6:02 PM CDT: Adds details

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Today’s decision is just one small point on a continuum that will go on until Trump is no longer president or, as a nation, we manage to disentangle our economy from our nearest neighbour to the greatest extent possible.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
Yesterday at 5:31 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026