‘It’s pretty bad’: Johnny G’s restaurant in Exchange burns in early morning fire Historic building constructed in 1882

A longstanding restaurant in Winnipeg’s Exchange District burned Wednesday, causing what could be significant damage to the business and the heritage building in which it operates.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/08/2025 (365 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A longstanding restaurant in Winnipeg’s Exchange District burned Wednesday, causing what could be significant damage to the business and the heritage building in which it operates.

“Things are not looking well at all,” John Giannakis, owner of Johnny G’s restaurant, said by phone Wednesday morning.

“The fire commissioner won’t let us in yet, so we don’t know, (but), from what they told me, it’s pretty bad.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 	
Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

Firefighters declared the blaze under control about an hour later. They searched the building and found it empty. No injuries were reported, the release said.

The release said damage estimates are not available, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

By 1:20 p.m., the restaurant’s front windows had been covered by large sheets of white plywood, and contractors were screwing the metal front door closed. A staircase leading to a basement bar, Wee Johnny’s, was covered in shards of soot-covered glass.

The restaurant’s brick facade showed no visible signs of damage.

The smell of smoke lingered in the air as passersby side-stepped the caution tape cordoning off a portion of the front sidewalk. One woman stood behind the fire line, repeatedly glancing down at her phone and then back up at the shuttered restaurant.

She had just used an online app to order and pay for a meal from Johnny G’s, and was bewildered to find the restaurant crawling with firefighters, she said.

A police officer carrying a black portfolio was spotted walking around the building’s perimeter, snapping photos on his phone.

Winnipeg Police Service Const. Stephen Spencer said officers from the major crimes unit are assisting with the investigation.

“I have no further information I can provide regarding the circumstances of the fire,” he said in an email.

Police and fire investigators frequently work together during fire probes, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson Erin Madden said in an email.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Owner John Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Owner John Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

“There was police present, but I haven’t spoken to them, so I don’t know. They would have those answers,” he said.

The restaurateur said he could not provide any further details, as he was busy dealing with the aftermath.

“I’m trying to phone the insurance on the other end, plus my accountant and everything else… I’ve got to phone everybody — from staff, to everybody — to make sure everybody is aware,” he said.

Giannakis has operated the McDermot restaurant since 1996. The building underwent significant renovations around 2014, when Giannakis renovated its basement into a classic Irish pub.

Wee Johnny’s went on to become a staple in Winnipeg’s comedy scene in 2019.

The bar officially stopped hosting open mic comedy last week, but remained a popular destination for karaoke, Winnipeg comic Jeff Gobeil said by phone.

“We really had a good thing going there,” said Gobeil, who regularly hosted open mic nights.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS  
Owner John Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Owner John Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

Gobeil said the spot functioned as a training ground for rookie comics, allowing them a small, friendly venue to cut their teeth and work up the ranks of the local scene.

“I would tell the new (comics), ‘Wee Johnny’s is religion. You’re there. It’s the place to be,’” he said. “It wasn’t without its problems… but it was ours. That place is going to live in my heart.”

The restaurant and bar are currently for sale for $1.5 million, according to an online listing. The business features seating for up to 230 patrons between the main floor and basement. The top floor has 13 offices, it said.

Giannakis also owned and operated a second location on Main Street, but that business closed and was sold “some time ago,” he said.

“Johnny G’s is a very special business, not just for Winnipeg but for the entire city,” David Pensato, the executive director of the Exchange District BIZ, said by phone.

“Restaurants come and go, but there are really only a handful of restaurants like that, that really are around for such a long period.”

“Restaurants come and go, but there are really only a handful of restaurants like that, that really are around for such a long period.”–David Pensato

The City of Winnipeg granted the building historic status on July 15, 1985. According to a report prepared for the historical buildings committee, the structure was built in 1882.

Known as the T.W. Taylor building, it operated as a warehouse, office and printing plant for the Thomas W. Taylor Company until 1967. The company specialized in quality bookbinding and the printing of account books and blank cheques for commercial use, the report said.

The building went on to house an art studio and interior design firm in the early 1970s. Later, it was home to a restaurant, modelling academy and fitness studio.

Cindy Tugwell, Heritage Winnipeg’s executive director, said the building’s age makes it a rarity, even in the Exchange District, which is considered a national historic site.

She said she was working at the nearby Millennium Centre around 10 a.m., when she saw fire crews at the building and rushed over to take a look.

“It’s devastating,” she said by phone. “You just take it for granted that it’s always going to be there.”

Tugwell said she is anxiously awaiting news about whether the fire caused structural damage.

“You just have to wait and see and cross your fingers,” she said.

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 12:45 PM CDT: Photo added

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 5:43 PM CDT: Adds quotes, details, photos, deck

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 6:00 PM CDT: Changes to 1:20 p.m. from a.m.

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 7:42 PM CDT: Updates headline to early morning fire

Updated on Thursday, August 21, 2025 10:48 AM CDT: Corrects spelling of Gobeil

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read Preview

Selkirk physiotherapist Pachal looks to finish strong at Natural Strongman Worlds

Grace Penner 5 minute read 5:55 PM CDT

Over 250 competitors from 20 countries will descend on Paisley, Scotland, this week for the Natural Strongman Worlds. There the athletes will meet personal goals, test their endurance over a multiple-day event, and a winner from both the men’s and women’s division will be crowned the fittest of them all.

Selkirk’s own Tom Pachal will be competing in the under 80-kilogram weight class. Pachal has been surrounded by the fitness lifestyle his whole career, multitasking as a physiotherapist and owning the Iron Image Barbell Club in Selkirk.

“I’m very involved in the health, wellness, fitness, (and) rehabilitation community. I love being an overall active person and helping others,” Pachal said.

Starting off as a power lifter, Pachal was excited to transition over to the Strongman competitions, something that was less repetitive and more unpredictable.

Read
5:55 PM CDT

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026