Online faith services find place in pandemic spotlight

Advertisement

Advertise with us

When the COVID-19 pandemic struck Canada in early 2020, many places of worship were caught off guard.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/10/2020 (2128 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

When the COVID-19 pandemic struck Canada in early 2020, many places of worship were caught off guard.

Two Winnipeg congregations, however — Saint Benedict’s Table and Congregation Shaarey Zedek — were ahead of the game due to the foresight of respective visionaries.

Saint Ben’s, as it is known, started moving online in 2006, says Rector Jamie Howison.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
Rabbi Anibal Mass sings during a rehearsal at Shaarey Zedek Synagogue last month.
JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES Rabbi Anibal Mass sings during a rehearsal at Shaarey Zedek Synagogue last month.

“We’ve had a pretty strong web presence since then,” he said of the Anglican church, which used to meet in-person Sunday nights at All Saints downtown.

The church started by posting sermons on its website, then moved to podcasts, interviews and, more recently, an audio book. Last month, online offerings were downloaded about 3,000 times, with 56 per cent of those downloads from Canada, and 38 per cent from the U.S.

The pandemic accelerated the Winnipeg church’s move to doing more online; in addition to podcasts, it streams the evening service and offers a short prayer service each weekday at 5 p.m.

Going online has provided “a totally different frame of reference,” Howison said. “Now we see what we do and who we are through a different lens. We have a gathered community, and a virtual community, people we never see or know about.”

Howison credits member Bramwell Ryan for leading the online charge.

“He helped us up our game long before the pandemic started, and helped us to be well-positioned,” the rector said, adding the church will continue growing its online offerings after pandemic restrictions on gatherings are lifted.

Ryan, a communications consultant, has long-believed the internet was a way to democratize communication for places of worship.

“It provides an enormous opportunity to churches to share their messages,” he said, noting the tools are “cheap and easy to use.”

The product is also “authentic, deep and meaningful,” Ryan said, providing participants with a real sense of community.

Being active online also relieves places of worship from “the tyranny of geography and time. This is the new community. It’s where much of life happens now. If churches don’t go there, they are missing out.”

At Shaarey Zedek, it was ready for the pandemic due to the work of Rabbi Anibal Mass.

Mass, who has been at the synagogue for 18 years, has a background in computer science — “Something very unusual for clergy,” he said.

Under his leadership, Shaarey Zedek started began producing audio recordings of services in the early 2000s, before moving to video as well. Four years ago, it added more options to its streaming services through the support of generous donors at the synagogue.

Looking for inspiration to do better with online offerings, Mass checked with synagogues across North America to see what others were doing. Unable to find any, he went looking in an unusual place for a rabbi: American evangelical mega churches.

“I was blown away,” he said. “I told myself, ‘They are on to something here.’”

Mass watched what they were doing to “learn from their success and mistakes. I didn’t want to reinvent the wheel.”

As a result, Shaarey Zedek was in position when pandemic restrictions took hold — but even then, he said, “We needed to upgrade and step up our game.”

This meant making it more interactive, giving people the ability to share messages with leaders and with each other during services.

Going online has made the synagogue more accessible, Mass said.

“We are now more welcoming and friendly to everyone, offering them more options to connect with us, no matter where they live,” he said. “There are no borders online. You don’t have to be in Winnipeg to go to a service in Winnipeg. People around the world come to our services.” 

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Time for a stronger all-Canadian grid

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Time for a stronger all-Canadian grid

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The kneebone is connected to … non-contiguously, pretty much every other bone in your body.

Unfortunately.

But more on that later.

The New York Times published a quite terrifying story on the U.S. electrical grid this week, one that points out that, with a few simple directed attacks on nine of 10 major U.S. substations, the entire U.S. power grid could be disabled.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:22 PM CDT

Global spy games heat back up

Kyle Volpi Hiebert 5 minute read Preview

Global spy games heat back up

Kyle Volpi Hiebert 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In 2013, whistleblower Edward Snowden exposed a massive dragnet of U.S. surveillance programs built to intercept the data and communications of targets worldwide. By comparison, human intelligence work suddenly seemed clumsy and antiquated. Perhaps even unnecessary.

Yet espionage is now making a comeback. Governments are rediscovering the value of covertly undermining rivals and dealing with risks abroad before they pose security threats at home.

Israeli and American forces swiftly decapitated Iran’s leadership in March thanks to Mossad agents penetrating the regime in Tehran and tracking officials’ daily movements beforehand. Russian and Ukrainian operatives have staged at least 150 assassination attempts on each other’s soil since 2022.

North Korean spies are using fake IT credentials and AI-generated profiles to get hired at Fortune 500 companies. The goal: steal trade secrets and divert lucrative tech salaries toward Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT