Prime Minister Stephen Harper tours areas in Manitoba threatened by flooding

Advertisement

Advertise with us

BRANDON, Man. - Prime Minister Stephen Harper got a bird's-eye view of Manitoba's flooded farm fields, washed out roads and dikes holding back a raging Assiniboine River fuelled by floodwater pouring in from the west.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/07/2014 (4430 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

wfpvideo:3662414082001:wfpvideo

BRANDON, Man. – Prime Minister Stephen Harper got a bird’s-eye view of Manitoba’s flooded farm fields, washed out roads and dikes holding back a raging Assiniboine River fuelled by floodwater pouring in from the west.

Harper took a 20-minute helicopter tour of the southwestern Manitoba region on Sunday before thanking volunteers and emergency officials in Brandon, Man., for working around-the-clock on the flood effort.

“Obviously we are here to express our solidarity with people as I know everybody is very concerned about the situation,” Harper said Sunday after he attended a briefing with emergency personnel at Brandon City Hall. “Many have been affected.”

The swollen Assiniboine River covers farmland along Grand Valley Road west of Brandon, Man. as seen from the air on Sunday, July 6, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Tim Smith
The swollen Assiniboine River covers farmland along Grand Valley Road west of Brandon, Man. as seen from the air on Sunday, July 6, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Tim Smith

Harper said he will continue talking with Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger and Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall about the situation. But Harper didn’t promise any financial help over and above the disaster assistance Ottawa already provides during an emergency.

“I want to assure everybody that all levels of government are working together very hard,” he said. “There will be disaster assistance in this case as there always is according to the federal law. We’ll keep on top of this until we get the crest and get through it all.”

The floodwater coming from Saskatchewan prompted Selinger to declare a state of emergency on Friday and ask for military assistance to prepare communities west of Winnipeg for the crest. The river is lapping up against farm buildings and raised roads acting as dikes but hasn’t forced any evacuations so far in Brandon.

Selinger thanked Harper for deploying the military so quickly and said there are 500 soldiers on the ground right now helping in the flood fight.

But he said there are some “very stressed communities” in southwestern Manitoba where “50 per cent of the land was covered by water.”

“As that water abates, we’re going to be in there working closely with them to put the infrastructure back in place and get people moving again,” Selinger said “That’s our objective is to put everybody back to normal as quickly as possible.”

This summer flood was caused by torrential rain last weekend and is expected to topple records set in 2011, which was one of Manitoba’s worst floods. Manitoba still hasn’t been completely compensated by the federal government for the cost of that disaster, Selinger said.

Ottawa needs to invest more in flood prevention, he said.

“The frequency, the intensity of these events is happening more often and we’re starting to see some very serious problems in North America with severe, intense weather events,” Selinger said. “We’ve got to keep focusing on good-quality infrastructure to protect our communities as we fight issues like climate change.”

Tim Smith / The Canadian Press
Prime Minister Stephen Harper looks out at the flooded landscape around Brandon Sunday.
Tim Smith / The Canadian Press Prime Minister Stephen Harper looks out at the flooded landscape around Brandon Sunday.

The first crest from the torrent of floodwater appears to have hit Brandon, provincial flood official Steve Topping told a news conference Sunday. The crest is below the devastating 2011 flood level, although levels further downstream are still forecast to be higher than 2011.

A second crest later this month is expected to hit Brandon, but Topping said it will be much lower than the current crest.

Officials say the dikes are holding right now but people living by the swollen Assiniboine River should be prepared to leave at a moment’s notice. People aren’t expected to be evacuated unless there is a breach in the city’s dikes.

Although Brandon was pummelled Saturday by a violent storm, the dikes held firm.

Downstream, hundreds of soldiers from CFB Shilo near Brandon worked tirelessly filling hundreds of thousands of sandbags to help fend off the rising floodwater. Major Mike Legace, with the Canadian Armed Forces, said the troops are trying to fill 125,000 sandbags a day as the crest bears down on southwestern Manitoba.

The soldiers are trying to protect 350 rural homes — 150 of which could be flooded if the province deliberately breaches a dike to take pressure off the Assiniboine River.

Cutting through one of the dikes at Hoop and Holler Bend just east of Portage la Prairie, Man., could ease some of the pressure on dikes holding back the swollen Assiniboine, but Selinger said it will only be done as a last resort.

Selinger ordered the dike cut in 2011, deliberately flooding the same swath of land and threatening homes in the area in order to save hundreds more downstream.

Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press
Reservists from CFB Shilo help fortify defences to protect Kevin Van Camp's home near St. Francois Xavier Sunday afternoon. The Assiniboine River crested upstream at Brandon around noon Sunday.
Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press Reservists from CFB Shilo help fortify defences to protect Kevin Van Camp's home near St. Francois Xavier Sunday afternoon. The Assiniboine River crested upstream at Brandon around noon Sunday.

“We can take nothing for granted right now,” he said. “We have to keep working flat out to make sure we’ve got protection in place. The crest could hit the Portage la Prairie area as early as Tuesday. We have to keep working flat-out to protect that area.”

Doug McNeil, Manitoba’s deputy minister of infrastructure and transportation, said Sunday the pavement on top of the dike has been removed just in case the cut needs to be made. Work continued Sunday to shore up dikes further downstream to make sure they would hold.

Residents in the area are furious their front lawns could once again be used as a floodway. Bev Biccum, who can see the Hoop and Holler Bend from her front lawn, said they still haven’t cleaned up from the 2011 flood.

Getting compensated from that disaster was a nightmare, arguing with bureaucrats to refund her for an item as inexpensive as an extension cord, she said.

“This was just a lake,” Biccum said, gesturing to her front lawn. “I want to be properly compensated. If this is the second time they’re doing this to us, then buy us out. This is our home and you’re doing it on purpose.”

History

Updated on Sunday, July 6, 2014 4:13 PM CDT: added videos

Updated on Monday, July 7, 2014 7:41 AM CDT: Adds video of Harper

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Preview

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

For many book lovers, summer means relaxing at the beach, in the backyard or at the cottage with fun, warm-weather page-turners — easy-going romance novels, gripping thrillers or even a dishy biography.

And some may long for the summer months to slow down, fall books season always offers up some of the most compelling reads for bookworms.

Here are 10 works of fiction and 10 non-fiction titles from Canadian authors slated to be published in the coming months — from Olympians to separatists, draft dodgers, plutocrats, prime ministers, bird-men and beyond, the characters in these forthcoming titles run the gamut.

FICTIONEliza Sunshine

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Fish briefs

Grace Penner 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

The Sioux Falls Canaries had a taste for fish as the club beat the Winnipeg Goldeyes in this week’s series.

Despite being on the road, the Winnipeg Goldeyes (45-37) started off the series with a strong win on Tuesday night. They soloed the scoreboard into the fourth inning with a 7-0 sweep until the Canaries (43-41) snuck in two runs in the bottom. Peyton Holt, Adam Hall, Ramón Bramasco, and Noah Marcelo had four runs in the top of that inning.

Even though Sioux Falls were able to slowly make their way up to six runs, catcher/infielder Marcelo secured their lead hitting two homers driving in two runs during the game.

Pitcher Landen Bourassa held the mound the majority of the innings, striking out seven, with relief pitchers Sage Ferguson and Derrick Cherry guarding the lead to give the Fish the 9-6 win.

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read Preview

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

There were multiple Manitoban bowls players in the 2026 Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships last week.

Sam Forrest placed silver in the U18 boys’ Canadian Youth and Junior Championships in Hanover, Ont., that was held from Aug. 10-14.

And in the North Vancouver, B.C., leg of the championships that was held Aug. 16-23, the 13-year-old competed with his grandfather, John Bjornson, as well as Rod Rose and Wayne Trindall in the men’s fours. Forrest was honoured with the Spirit Award.

Women’s pairs Shirley Fitzpatrick-Wong and her mother Clarice Fitzpatrick won silver falling short to the B.C. duo they faced.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT