Mr. Everything Oosterhuis turns into fullback
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/02/2009 (6385 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
EVERY football team has them. Every team needs them.
They are versatile, do-whateverthey’re- asked players who can fill in at a number of positions, get along with their compadres in the locker-room and, essentially, help serve as the glue that keeps a squad together.
Jon Oosterhuis is one of those guys and he’ll be back wearing Winnipeg Blue Bombers colours in 2009, although nothing is official yet, after signing a new deal two weeks into the CFL’s freeagency period. Oh, and get this: The likable 31-yearold defensive lineman, backup O-lineman, occasional tight end, reserve long-snapper and solid special-teams contributor will be re-creating himself this season as a fullback.
Yes, a fullback.
“Now don’t go starting with this ‘New Jon’ stuff, OK?” Oosterhuis said Wednesday. “I’ve heard players come out and say that before, and… that ain’t happening here. But I am really looking forward to it. It’s a good opportunity for me and it could be a lot of fun. We had been talking on and off for the last month or so (about the switch), and it just seemed like my best fit this year — losing some weight and coming in as a fullback.
“The more you can do helps you. And the more willing you are to do and try different things, the more it can help you.”
Oosterhuis has been suiting up with a playing weight of around 275 pounds in the past seven years as a Bomber and bulked up to 280 a year ago as the club’s seventh O-lineman. His plan now is to report to training camp in the 250 range with the help of therapist Al Couture, and then volunteer for more special- teams assignments.
“I enjoy playing all the special teams and I did play linebacker in college at a lighter weight,” said Oosterhuis, who lives in Winnipeg year-round and works snow removal at the airport in the offseason. “So… 30 pounds, you can definitely feel it in your legs. I’ve always struggled to keep my weight on, which is the opposite problem of most people.”
Worth noting here as Oosterhuis makes the switch from defence to offence: He’s no Milt Stegall, but he does have two career touchdowns while lining up as an end in goal-line situations. His next transformation, perhaps: from defence to fullback to wideout?
“I’ve played a lot of tight end here, but I don’t think anybody wants to see me at the wide receiver position,” Oosterhuis said with a chuckle. “Although the defensive backs would probably be happy to see me out there.”
❚ QB GONZO: And it’s not the guy — Kevin Glenn — many would have predicted. The Bombers cut Timmy Chang on Wednesday, but Glenn’s status remains unchanged, meaning he’ll likely remain on the roster through the weekend — and pick up a hefty roster bonus of $50,000 due on Sunday — while efforts continue to trade the quarterback continue in advance of the opening of training camp in June.
❚ BYE-BYE RONNIE: The Bombers have apparently lost the services of their new offensive-line coach, Ronnie Vinklarek, who has taken a job with the Rice University Owls. Vinklarek spent nine years as a high school coach in Texas and also worked with SMU and Houston. He was to replace Bob Wylie, who left the Bombers to join the staff of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca