Record floodwaters in eastern Australia leave 3 dead and 1 missing

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Record floodwaters on Australia's east coast left three people dead and one missing, officials said Thursday, as more heavy rain was forecast in the area.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/05/2025 (458 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Record floodwaters on Australia’s east coast left three people dead and one missing, officials said Thursday, as more heavy rain was forecast in the area.

More than 500 people were rescued in the flooding emergency in New South Wales state north of Sydney. The area has been hit with heavy rain since Tuesday. The flooding exceeds local records set in 1921 and 1929.

News South Wales Premier Christopher Minns said some areas were forecast to receive as much as 30 centimeters (1 foot) of rain in the next 24 hours. He said 50,000 people were warned to prepare to evacuate or be isolated by floodwaters, telling reporters: “We are bracing for more bad news.”

Conor Lang and Anthony Heeney walk through flooded areas in Port Macquarie, north of Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, May 21, 2025. (Lindsay Moller/AAP Image via AP)
Conor Lang and Anthony Heeney walk through flooded areas in Port Macquarie, north of Sydney, Australia, Wednesday, May 21, 2025. (Lindsay Moller/AAP Image via AP)

The body of a 63-year-old man was recovered from a flooded house in Moto in New South Wales on Wednesday afternoon, Acting Police Commissioner Peter Thurtell said. A coroner will determine whether a pre-existing medical condition played a part in his death, he added.

The body of a man, aged in his 30s, was recovered from floodwaters near Rosewood early Thursday, a police statement said. He had disappeared while attempting to drive through a flooded intersection on Wednesday night.

A 60-year-old woman was found dead on Thursday after her SUV became trapped in floodwaters near Brooklana on Wednesday night. The SUV was found earlier on Thursday, police said.

A 49-year-old man also failed to return home after walking near a flooded road at Nymboida on Wednesday night, police said.

Minns said more than 500 people had been rescued from floodwater in just over two days, many after trying to drive across flooded roads.

Emergency Services Minister Jihad Dib said 330 flood rescues were conducted in the past 24 hours. Helicopters have been used to rescue people stranded by floodwaters from rooftops and verandahs.

“We’ve seen more rain and more flooding in the mid-to-north coast area than we’ve ever seen before,” Dib said.

The flooding has hit communities including Taree, Kempsey, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Bellingen in New South Wales.

Taree received a month’s rain in 24 hours, an official said.

“Up around the Taree area, we’ve seen communities that have never flooded in recorded history now flooding,” Thurtell said.

The region has opened 14 evacuation centers as of Thursday.

Government meteorologist Angus Hines said a low-pressure weather system had stalled over the flooded region since Monday, bringing 60 centimeters (2 feet) of rain to some parts.

“If it had only been one day and then it had gone, we would have seen some minor or moderate flooding but it wouldn’t have been too bad. But four days in a row of this amount of rainfall and we see this significant and extensive, widespread and major flood event happening in front of our eyes,” Hines said.

The rain was losing intensity on Thursday, Hines said.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Don’t buy U.S. booze if, when it’s back on Liquor Mart shelves: Kinew

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

Manitoba hasn’t agreed to put American liquor back on shelves despite Prime Minister Mark Carney’s request while his government finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. to avoid new tariffs.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 10:25 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Ready to crack over late-night ‘snacks’

Maureen Scurfield 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My new love has a seriously annoying habit that could break us up now that we’re actually living together.

I’m not getting much sleep, and it has nothing to do with having too much sex! Every night at about 2 a.m., my man gets up and goes to the fridge, makes a giant sandwich and pours a huge glass of apple juice, then sits there scarfing it down, with music on for a bit of entertainment. This often wakes me up, and when I complain he just invites me to join him “for a bite.”

Really? The last thing I need is to eat a fourth meal of the day in the middle of the night. He says it’s an old habit from his football days, when he was so hungry all the time and he still enjoys it. He says he isn’t about to change that for me, so, tough luck.

It’s a big problem as I can’t just fall back to sleep after he rattles around the kitchen and then comes back and jumps back into bed with me.

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read Preview

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

There were multiple Manitoban bowls players in the 2026 Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships last week.

Sam Forrest placed silver in the U18 boys’ Canadian Youth and Junior Championships in Hanover, Ont., that was held from Aug. 10-14.

And in the North Vancouver, B.C., leg of the championships that was held Aug. 16-23, the 13-year-old competed with his grandfather, John Bjornson, as well as Rod Rose and Wayne Trindall in the men’s fours. Forrest was honoured with the Spirit Award.

Women’s pairs Shirley Fitzpatrick-Wong and her mother Clarice Fitzpatrick won silver falling short to the B.C. duo they faced.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Financial literacy safe space

Joel Schlesinger 5 minute read Preview

Financial literacy safe space

Joel Schlesinger 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Safe spaces can seem few and far between for individuals feeling behind the curve of banking online.

It’s often a double whammy of anxiety inducement.

For one, they’re unfamiliar with the technology other Canadians take for granted. Second, using the technology involves their money, leading to the fear a misstep will lead to financial losses.

Mehran Hossain can relate.

Read
2:00 AM CDT