Q&A: British girl group All Saints talk breakup, reunion, Oasis’ Liam Gallagher

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - All Saints are back — but this time the British-Canadian girl group says it's for all the right reasons.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/04/2016 (3780 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – All Saints are back — but this time the British-Canadian girl group says it’s for all the right reasons.

The late 1990s act behind the hits “Never Ever,” “Pure Shores” and “I Know Where It’s At” surfed the popularity of the Spice Girls to international fame, with their debut album going triple-platinum in Canada.

Eventually, success began to wear away at the group and they disbanded in 2001 over tension between the four members.

Members of the band All Saints from left, Natalie Appleton, Shaznay Lewis, Melanie Blatt, and Nicole Appleton poses for photographers upon arrival at the Elle Style Awards in London, Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Photo by Joel Ryan/Invision/AP
Members of the band All Saints from left, Natalie Appleton, Shaznay Lewis, Melanie Blatt, and Nicole Appleton poses for photographers upon arrival at the Elle Style Awards in London, Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Photo by Joel Ryan/Invision/AP

Legend says it all came down to a fight over a jacket during a photo shoot, though the women insist that’s not the whole story.

All Saints’ British founders Shaznay Lewis and Melanie Blatt talked to The Canadian Press about why a short-lived 2006 reunion went off the tracks and how Canadian member Nicole Appleton’s divorce from Oasis singer Liam Gallagher inspired the lead single.

CP: Your new album “Red Flag” was warmly received by critics upon its release last week, but why did you choose to reunite for a third go-round?

Lewis: A couple of years ago we were invited to tour with the Backstreet Boys and we were really up for it. Performing was one of the things we did the least … because we spent so much time doing (publicity earlier in our career). We were able to go on that tour, perform and have fun without any pressure whatsoever. From that point we thought, “OK, maybe we’ll try and do a few more songs.” We could add them to the (live) set, take them on the road and see what happens.

Blatt: It was a much more relaxed affair, the whole thing.

CP: All Saints first returned to the studio for “One Strike,” a song written around the time Appleton discovered her then husband had impregnated another woman. How did that revelation turn into the song? Did Appleton know it was about her?

Lewis: It was inspired by a phone conversation. I thought the song was clear enough and everyone knew what it was about. (Me and Nicole) had a conversation one day and I realized she hadn’t understood what it was about. When I pointed it out to her she loved it. The reality is everybody has gone through that more or less. It’s not a unique situation, shall I say.

CP: Some fans might be surprised All Saints is back together since the last reunion fizzled quickly. What went wrong with the release of 2006’s “Studio 1”?

Lewis: As much as I really love that record … we’d kind of gone straight back into being signed to a label. That whole process happened quite quickly: being signed, making that album. We were straight back onto that pressure train.

CP: And there’s that notorious backstage fight over who would wear a certain jacket at a photoshoot. Is that what really broke you up in 2001?

Lewis: That (expletive) jacket! It was an accumulation of things — it wasn’t the poor jacket. The jacket’s in my wardrobe, but for god’s sake would everyone stop blaming me! (Laughs)

CP: It’s been interesting to watch how All Saints has been portrayed in some past coverage about your breakup. There’s been an emphasis on the female members having strong personalities or short tempers. Would you say that’s a fair characterization?

Lewis: It’s an easy way out … loving to put things in boxes. Nothing is as black and white as that. Things like that can be slightly condescending, maybe, but at the end of the day it’s not part of our world. If they want to drop a label on things, that’s their issue, not ours.

Blatt: We’re wise enough and know who we are as people, and as a band, what we want to do. We’re not very good at being told what to do.

— This interview has been edited and condensed.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

It’s back and it’s better than ever.

National non-profit ogranization motionball will be returning for its annual event — the 2026 Marathon of Sports Winnipeg — at the Dakota Community Centre Sept. 19. This fundraising event will help support the Special Olympics Manitoba and Canada foundation in hopes of reaching their goal of $100,000.

Local Special Olympic athletes, including the province’s own Alec Baldwin, as well as registered participants will join together to play a variety of team sports such as basketball, kinball and bocce ball.

Letters, Aug. 17

6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

If I were Pierre Poilievre, I wouldn’t be just thinking about becoming the next prime minister. I’d be thinking about legacy in larger terms — meaning how would I ultimately want to be remembered.

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

BMO will close its branch on Rosser Avenue and move to a new location on Park Avenue while Royal Bank of Canada’s Rosser branch will be consolidated with the existing RBC branch on 18th Street.

Neither bank owns its downtown property or could say what will happen to the buildings after they vacate.

BMO spokesperson Jeff Roman described the bank’s move to Park Avenue as an investment in the Brandon community.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT