More than music

Winnipeg Folk Festival beefing up resources to deal with safety issues, sexual assault

Advertisement

Advertise with us

One of Manitoba’s largest summer festivals is taking steps to make the event safer for attendees.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/04/2023 (1223 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

One of Manitoba’s largest summer festivals is taking steps to make the event safer for attendees.

April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month and last week, the Winnipeg Folk Festival announced partnerships with several local organizations to offer support and reporting tools for festival-goers who experience traumatic events.

“We just want to be able to make sure that we take care of our audience and our campers,” says festival executive director Lynne Skromeda. “And to make sure that if there are any issues, we have ways of dealing with them properly and appropriately in a timely manner.”

DANIEL CRUMP / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                The Winnipeg Folk Festival is taking steps to make the event safer for attendees at Birds Hill Provincial Park in July.

DANIEL CRUMP / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

The Winnipeg Folk Festival is taking steps to make the event safer for attendees at Birds Hill Provincial Park in July.

During the 2023 festival, which takes place July 6 to 9 at Birds Hill Park, staff from NorWest Co-op Community Health’s Trauma Response Team will be stationed in the festival campground to provide psychosocial counselling and referrals.

Workers with the Sexual Assault Recovery and Healing (SARAH) arm of Survivor’s Hope Crisis Centre will be available in the festival grounds and campground to assist victims of sexual violence. Fiddler’s Green, a local cannabis retailer, will host conversations about harm reduction in the campground.

The organization has also embarked on a year-round partnership with REES (Respect, Educate & Empower Survivors), a Winnipeg-based online sexual-assault-reporting tool, to give ticketholders a way to document incidents at folk fest-affiliated events and concerts.

“What I hope is that if there are situations that come to light, that we would be able to learn how to be better as a festival,” Skromeda says of how the organization plans to use information gleaned from the platform. “If we have any blind spots that we could have control over… if there’s any way we need to adjust our safer-spaces policy or any of our other practices.”

REES was launched in 2020 to enhance safety and reduce barriers to sexual-assault reporting on post-secondary campuses. Founder and CEO Mary Lobson says the platform has since expanded to partner with corporate workplaces and community events. Music festivals are a new frontier.

“There’s not a lot of data related to sexual violence, harassment, misconduct or assaults occurring in the festival space, but we know that it’s happening,” Lobson says, pointing to a 2018 study from the United Kingdom that concluded one in five festival-goers and 30 per cent of female attendees had experienced some form of unwanted sexual behaviour.

“This creates pathways for people to come forward so that if someone identifies a washroom or a particular location or time of day that’s problematic, (the festival) can use that information to say, ‘OK, what can we do differently?’”

Links to the REES platform are available on the festival website (winnipegfolkfestival.ca) and smartphone application. After creating an account, individuals are taken through a step-by-step reporting process. Submissions can be made anonymously and there’s no requirement to follow up with a formal police report. User information is encrypted and the festival will only receive anonymous aggregated data.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                Lynne Skromeda, left, the executive director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival, with Chris Frayer, artistic director; the festival is partnering with local organizations to deal with issues such as on-site sexual assault.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Lynne Skromeda, left, the executive director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival, with Chris Frayer, artistic director; the festival is partnering with local organizations to deal with issues such as on-site sexual assault.

Previously, the folk festival — which attracted 74,000 attendees in 2022 — managed on-site safety issues through volunteer crews and a campground partnership with Red Tent, a safer-spaces organization.

“We wanted to have some better resources,” Skromeda says of the decision to partner with external organizations. “While our volunteers were amazing… this isn’t our area of expertise.”

Still, anyone experiencing a problem in the festival or campground is encouraged to seek out a security volunteer, who can provide direction to the aforementioned resources.

eva.wasney@winnipegfreepress.com

Twitter: @evawasney

Eva Wasney

Eva Wasney
Reporter

Eva Wasney has been a reporter with the Free Press Arts & Life department since 2019. Read more about Eva.

Every piece of reporting Eva produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Preview

Wooed by wood, Cedarella founder takes pride in handcrafted designs

David Sanderson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Marina Bulan is the founder of Cedarella, a two-year-old venture that turns out eye-catching wood products such as jewelry, kitchen decor, children’s toys and, most recently, metre-high outdoor planters that double as home street-number indicators.

Ahead of immigrating to Winnipeg a decade ago from their native Russia, Bulan and her partner thought it would be prudent to conduct some research on their soon-to-be new home, a city they knew next to nothing about.

Imagine their surprise as they were viewing the 2007 surrealist film My Winnipeg, which comically blends historical facts about our burg with what Winnipeg-born writer/director Guy Maddin has termed “mystical hypothesizing.”

(For instance, there is no proof that, as reported in the award-winning flick, Winnipeg is the sleepwalking capital of the world, and that residents keep keys to their former abodes on their person in the event they turn up there during a bout of somnambulism.)

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ 22-19 defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in Alberta on Friday was fitting for all the wrong reasons.

The Bombers looked reinvigorated as they jumped out to a 16-point lead in the first half. Then some bad habits reared their ugly head, as the Elks roared back with 19 straight points before kicker Vincent Blanchard walked it off with a 40-yard field goal.

A night that began with so much promise left many fans to wonder what the ceiling actually is for this team in 2026.

On offence, Zach Collaros completed 19 of 30 passes for 219 yards, one touchdown and an interception; Brady Oliveira amassed 118 yards on 16 carries and added a pair of catches for 11 yards; and Nic Demski secured five grabs for 80 yards.

Read
Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Preview

Free Press literary editor picks noteworthy Canadian fiction and non-fiction titles to watch for this fall

Ben Sigurdson 8 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

For many book lovers, summer means relaxing at the beach, in the backyard or at the cottage with fun, warm-weather page-turners — easy-going romance novels, gripping thrillers or even a dishy biography.

And some may long for the summer months to slow down, fall books season always offers up some of the most compelling reads for bookworms.

Here are 10 works of fiction and 10 non-fiction titles from Canadian authors slated to be published in the coming months — from Olympians to separatists, draft dodgers, plutocrats, prime ministers, bird-men and beyond, the characters in these forthcoming titles run the gamut.

FICTIONEliza Sunshine

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT