That’s all she wrote for library gift shop

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Friends of the Public Library is closing the book on its fundraising gift shop after 17 years.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/11/2022 (1386 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Friends of the Public Library is closing the book on its fundraising gift shop after 17 years.

The Best of Friends Gift Shop, located near the lobby of the downtown Millennium Library, will close in December. It’s holding a sale now.

Friends president Rita Burgess said the closure is not because they are verging on bankruptcy or concerned about downtown safety.

Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press Files
                                The Best of Friends Gift Shop, located near the lobby of the downtown Millennium Library, will close in December.

Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press Files

The Best of Friends Gift Shop, located near the lobby of the downtown Millennium Library, will close in December.

“The gift shop was and is profitable,” Burgess said on Wednesday. “It has been profitable all along. It is our volunteers and the changing face of volunteerism. To get people to commit on a regular basis is challenging. This isn’t a once-a-year event. It is a store and, not only do people volunteer there, but they also have to be trained. People don’t have that time commitment anymore.

“We’re all very sad about it.”

Funds raised by the Friends, in part through the gift shop, help it co-sponsor the library’s writer-in-residence program, as well as the annual spring break program and other library initiatives.

The organization has raised more than $345,000 in the past two decades.

The gift shop, open Thursday to Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., sold unique literary-themed tea and coffee cups, puzzles, games, bookmarks and jewelry.

In its place, the Friends have turned to trivia nights — it held a successful one last month — and it will have a used book cart at the downtown library on the last Saturday of every month. It will continue to hold the annual fundraising book sale.

They are once again accepting donations of used books, as well as DVDs, CDs and record albums, Burgess said. They can be dropped off in boxes — no bags — at any public library branch.

“We haven’t held a book sale since 2019, but we are looking at having one in 2023,” she said.

(Go to www.friendswpl.ca for a list of needed items.)

“The Friends are not going away. I want to assure people of that,” she said. “We still need to generate revenue to fund projects. It’s just the changing way of volunteers. Retired people are not here all year.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Liquor authority fines True North $12K after minors with fake ID served at Jets White Out party

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

True North Sports and Entertainment was hit with a $12,000 fine for serving minors with fake IDs during a Winnipeg Jets White Out street party in 2025.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
5:31 PM CDT