2021 Countryfest to feature all-Canadian lineup

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The 2021 edition of Dauphin’s Countryfest will kick off on Canada Day, and organizers will wave the maple leaf for entire four-day weekend.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/07/2020 (2242 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The 2021 edition of Dauphin’s Countryfest will kick off on Canada Day, and organizers will wave the maple leaf for entire four-day weekend.

The 31-year-old festival announced Wednesday — 365 days before the 2021 event is to begin — it will go with an all-Canadian lineup.

Countryfest general manager Rob Waloschuk promises a who’s who of Canadian country music, supplemented by a handful of rock artists, to be on Selo Ukraina’s three stages from July 1 to 4, 2021.

Brandon Sun Canadian country artists Dallas Smith (pictured) and Dean Brody took over the Keystone Centre on Sunday night for their Friends Don't Let Friends Tour Alone tour. This show was delayed by a day due to extreme weather conditions. (Kyle Darbyson/The Brandon Sun)
Brandon Sun Canadian country artists Dallas Smith (pictured) and Dean Brody took over the Keystone Centre on Sunday night for their Friends Don't Let Friends Tour Alone tour. This show was delayed by a day due to extreme weather conditions. (Kyle Darbyson/The Brandon Sun)

“We’re bringing nothing but the best of the best from this country. This will be the biggest contingent of Canadian country music that has been put together in one place,” Waloschuk says.

Among the headliners will be Dallas Smith, Dean Brody, Johnny Reid, Terri Clark, Paul Brandt, Alan Doyle, Michelle Wright, the Reklaws and Manitoba acts Petric, Don Amero and Doc Walker.

“It’s time we started giving back to our own country,” Waloschuk says. “Some of these artists have been playing from their couches, and they’re hurting as much as anybody, doing their charity work, all for us, and it’s time for us to give back to them.”

The uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic played a role in the all-Canadian festival, he says. The Canada-U.S. border remains closed to all but essential traffic and there’s no timetable set for opening it again.

“It’s in the back of my mind,” Waloshuk says of the coronavirus. “I hope, like everyone, by the time next year rolls around everything will be cleared up, but you just don’t know.”

Tim Smith/Brandon Sun Files
Johnny Reid will headline Dauphin's Countryfest in 2021.
Tim Smith/Brandon Sun Files Johnny Reid will headline Dauphin's Countryfest in 2021.

The Countryfest schedule so far:

Thursday: Lee Aaron, the Headpins, Toronto, Petric, Emerson Drive, Aaron Pritchett and Charlie Major

Friday: Kates Outlaw, Jade Turner, Desiree Dorion, Don Amero, Toque, Kristen Carter, Jade Eagleson, Jess Moskaluke, Washboard Union, Chad Brownlee, Terri Clark, Paul Brandt

Saturday: Ryan Keown Band, the Road Hammers, Trooper, Madeline Merlo, Alan Doyle, the Reklaws, James Barker Band, Dean Brody, Dallas Smith

Sunday: Melissa Livingstone, Clayton Bellamy and the Congregation, Doc Walker, Jason McCoy, Michelle Wright, George Canyon, Corb Lund, Hunter Brothers, Johnny Reid

— Alan Small

Kyle Darbyson / The Brandon Sun
Canadian singer Dean Brody will headline Countryfest 2021.
Kyle Darbyson / The Brandon Sun Canadian singer Dean Brody will headline Countryfest 2021.
Terri Clark waves after being announced as the 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee at the Canadian Country Music Awards in Hamilton, Ont. on Sunday, September 9, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power
Terri Clark waves after being announced as the 2018 Hall of Fame Inductee at the Canadian Country Music Awards in Hamilton, Ont. on Sunday, September 9, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Peter Power
Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:34 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:34 AM CDT

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Amid high beef prices and trade uncertainty, a Farm Credit Canada executive touched down in Winnipeg with a message: it’s time for cattle producers to grow.

“What they face right now is … opportunity,” said Jean-Philippe Gervais, the federal Crown corporation’s executive vice-president of agricultural production.

Gervais was representing FCC, the country’s top agricultural lender, at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference.

He spoke to the Free Press ahead of his keynote speech Thursday afternoon. Hundreds of cattle farmers and industry leaders gathered at the RBC Convention Centre for the four-day event, which began on Monday.

Read
Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT