Rear seats of cars need better safety equipment, study says

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says in a new report that safer restraint systems are needed for the back seats of cars. The study finds that rear-seat safety has not kept pace with front-seat safety and it has been to the detriment of belted passengers in the back seat.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/04/2019 (2671 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says in a new report that safer restraint systems are needed for the back seats of cars. The study finds that rear-seat safety has not kept pace with front-seat safety and it has been to the detriment of belted passengers in the back seat.

The study looked at 117 front crashes that resulted in a back seat passenger who was wearing a seat belt getting killed or seriously injured. The study says many of these could have been survivable with upgrades in design and safety equipment.

Many chest injuries in the crashes were caused by force from seat belts. This could possibly be mitigated in part, the study suggests, with belts being equipped with force limiters, which let out some slack from the seat belt as force increases.

The institute, which was founded by auto insurers, suggests car makers look into more sophisticated safety technologies in the back seat, including air bags that deploy from the ceiling.

Front seat passengers have already benefited from many of these upgrades, and now often have both side and front air bags as well as force limiters and crash tensioners, which cause seat belts to tighten.

But back seat technology has not kept up, though new safety measures have been tested. It used to be that the back seat was considered the safer place to be in the event of a crash from the front. But the study found that is changing.

The institute noted that similar studies in the past have spurred safety upgrades, and it hopes that will be the case again.

“We’re confident that vehicle manufacturers can find a way to solve this puzzle in the back seat just as they were able to do in the front,” President David Harkey said.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

The AI weapons scanners at Health Sciences Centre have detected close to 2,000 items since they were installed at Manitoba’s largest hospital.

From March 6, 2025 to the beginning of this month, a total of 1,973 items had been flagged by the scanners and identified for further review, Shared Health said this week.

Knives, Swiss army knives and other multi-tools, drugs, alcohol, box cutters, syringes and other injection devices were detected, it said. The technology set up at entrances to the adult and children’s emergency rooms and the crisis response centre is designed to identify a wide range of objects that may require review under site safety protocols.

But Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson said the technology isn’t available everywhere at HSC, and a sawed-off rifle was discovered in the adult ER earlier this month.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Lasting legacy or pining for a pipe dream?

Laura Cameron 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The federal government is investing in major infrastructure, promising to expedite “projects of national interest” and pitching them to private investors at a summit in September.

The Manitoba government has its sights set on a pipeline and LNG export terminal at Churchill. Instead, Manitoba should be putting forward feasible, future-facing infrastructure proposals that would leave a positive lasting legacy of energy affordability, independence and security for Manitobans.

A pipeline and LNG terminal at Churchill are not viable for several reasons — the technical challenges of building a pipeline over thawing permafrost; the prohibitive cost of ice-breaking tankers to move LNG through the Arctic; and a forecasted global oversupply of LNG and uncertain long-term export markets.

Given these challenges, a private company coming out of the woodwork to invest seems exceptionally unlikely. Private proponents are also not interested in building oil pipelines to the west, and Prime Minister Mark Carney has now made clear his priority to work with Premier Danielle Smith on a West Coast pipeline, which would cost upwards of $35 billion (on top of the over $34 billion in public funds already spent on the Trans Mountain pipeline). It would seem this pours more cold water on the idea of a third publicly funded pipeline to Hudson Bay.

Murphy helps Goldeyes battle back to beat Explorers

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Murphy helps Goldeyes battle back to beat Explorers

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Max Murphy didn’t hesitate when asked to describe his season so far.

“It’s been terrible,” the veteran Winnipeg Goldeyes outfielder told the Free Press.

Murphy is admittedly critical of himself, the product of a high standard he’s set during a pro baseball career that began in 2014 and has included the past six years with the Fish, where he’s established new franchise records for home runs and RBIs.

So you can imagine the relief felt on Sunday when he looked a lot more like the Murphy of old in leading his team to a 6-2 comeback victory over the Sioux City Explorers to close out a six-game homestand at Blue Cross Park in front of a season-high crowd of 6,825.

Read
Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A better approach, but not yet enough

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

A better approach, but not yet enough

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In late June, when the Winnipeg Police Service launched a 10-day ‘crackdown’ on open drug use and illegal drug sales in areas in and around downtown, it did so without consulting or informing community outreach and social services agencies working in the targeted areas.

Inevitably, the WPS action drew criticism from several front-line agencies, which issued a collective statement just two days after the police operation began, pointing out that heavy-handed policing would drive vulnerable people away from the help they desperately need.

“Every day we work to build trust with people who have experienced trauma, discrimination, and barriers to care,” Kate Sjoberg, executive director of Resource Assistance for Youth, said at the time. “Actions that create fear around accessing services can undo months or years of relationship-building and place people at greater risk of preventable harm.”

At the time, WPS Chief Gene Bowers held up his hand and said, “That’s on me.”

Read
2:00 AM CDT

RCMP searching for missing 34-year-old woman

1 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Police are asking for the public’s help locating a 34-year-old woman last heard from almost a week ago.

Tamara Stevens, who also goes by Tammy, was last heard from on Sunday last weekend and was reported missing Tuesday morning, said a Thompson RCMP news release Saturday.

RCMP and family are worried for her well-being.

Stevens is believed to be in Thompson and is described as 5'7, with a slender build and long red hair, said RCMP. She also has a piercing on her lip and was last seen wearing black T-Shirt featuring the Twilight character Jacob, pants and work boots.