DoorDash wants Competition Bureau case alleging it misled customers turfed: doc

Advertisement

Advertise with us

DoorDash Inc. is asking the Competition Tribunal to throw out a case accusing it of misleading Canadian customers by advertising food deliveries at a lower price than customers actually wind up paying.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/07/2025 (390 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

DoorDash Inc. is asking the Competition Tribunal to throw out a case accusing it of misleading Canadian customers by advertising food deliveries at a lower price than customers actually wind up paying.

In a recent filing made to the tribunal, the San Francisco-based food delivery company says Canada’s competition commissioner has mischaracterized its fee structure and made claims against it that are false and misleading.

“DoorDash’s fees are prominently and unavoidably displayed throughout the marketplaces ordering process, and all DoorDash users are shown the full, all-in price of their order prior to checkout and submitting their orders,” the company said in a document submitted to the tribunal Friday.

A food delivery rider waits for the traffic light to change Monday, March 30, 2020, in Lone Tree, Colo.   (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)
A food delivery rider waits for the traffic light to change Monday, March 30, 2020, in Lone Tree, Colo. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)

Commissioner Matthew Boswell, who oversees Canada’s competition watchdog, alleged last month that customers were unable to purchase food and other items at prices advertised on DoorDash’s websites and mobile apps because of mandatory fees added at checkout.

Those fees included service and delivery changes as well as additional sums tacked on when food or other items were couriered a further distance or customers placed smaller orders.

Boswell has alleged the charges are often framed as if they were taxes and resulted in consumers paying higher prices than advertised, amounting to a deceptive practice known as drip pricing. He claims DoorDash used drip pricing for close to a decade, earning nearly $1 billion from mandatory fees paid by customers.

DoorDash is now arguing its fees do not constitute drip pricing because they are not obligatory or “unavoidable.” 

DoorDash users can select pickup instead of delivery and collect their items at the item prices originally marketed to them, without fees, the company says. It adds that the fees can also be avoided if customers subscribe to its DashPass loyalty program, look for merchants offering free delivery promotions or, in instances when their order comes with a fee because it’s too small, add more items to their purchase.

These arguments form the crux of DoorDash’s submission which maintains its customers “are not misled” because it is “not possible” for them to navigate DoorDash’s apps or websites without being fully aware of fees they will face.

DoorDash says fees are displayed throughout its marketplaces and are featured prominently and unavoidably on merchant store pages and at checkout.

In many cases, it says delivery fees are prominently displayed in bold font and in a larger size than item prices.

As for service fees, it says it is “impossible to know” what the amount will be before a DoorDash user finishes filling their cart because the charge typically scales with the subtotal of an order. 

DoorDash says this is a common convention in many industries and doesn’t seem to deter users from making purchases.

“The overwhelming majority of DoorDash users are repeat users who have seen DoorDash’s suite of fee representations multiple times,” the company’s filing said.

“They continue to, repeatedly, use the marketplaces to connect with their favourite merchants after having made their way through these representations and having agreed to pay the ‘all-in’ price.”

Asked for comment on DoorDash’s filing, Competition Bureau spokesperson Marianne Blondin said only that the watchdog has 14 days to file a reply to the tech company’s rebuttal. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 28, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Letters, Aug. 22

7 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Foster system must be better

Re: Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope (Aug. 18)

Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine’s assertion that “you can’t train people not to be violent” should concern everyone who cares about the safety of children in Manitoba’s child welfare system.

Of course, no training program can guarantee that an individual will never harm a child. But framing these tragedies as the actions of a few “abominable” people risks absolving the system of its responsibility to prevent harm.

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Seniors left hanging during Bell MTS outage: property manager

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:02 PM CDT

Shelly Durham said when it comes to many of her elderly tenants of a downtown highrise apartment, their landline is their lifeline.

That lifeline was disconnected Tuesday after a copper cable that provides telephone service was cut Tuesday during construction work.

“It could be a matter of life and death,” said Durham, the building manager at Broadview Manor. “That’s the scary part.”

Manitoba Hydro spokesperson Peter Chura said a contractor working for the utility contacted the underground communications cable while installing a streetlight cable.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:02 PM CDT