Province took nine days before alerting public about pipeline safety risk, documents reveal Handling of the Imperial pipeline saga raises questions about transparency and oversight

The province waited nine days last spring before alerting the public of potential structural risks to the main gas pipeline that serves Winnipeg, internal government records reveal.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/09/2024 (707 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The province waited nine days last spring before alerting the public of potential structural risks to the main gas pipeline that serves Winnipeg, internal government records reveal.

Departmental emails, obtained via freedom of information request, show Imperial Oil informed Manitoba officials on March 8 it would be shutting down Winnipeg’s primary fuel pipeline for “required maintenance.”

Co-ordinated statements from provincial staff and Imperial Oil were not released to the public until the evening of March 17.

In a March 8 email to the deputy minister of Economic Development, Investment, Trade and Natural Resources, department staff said Imperial Oil had requested a same-day briefing.

“This lady (from Imperial Oil government relations) called this morning and made it sound fairly urgent that her and her team brief you today,” a staff member wrote in an email to deputy minister Dana Rudy.

The Winnipeg Products Pipeline — the sole diesel, gasoline and jet fuel supply line for Winnipeg and parts of northern Ontario — was shut down from March until late June due to safety concerns flagged by the Alberta-based owner, Imperial Oil, along a section of pipe that runs under the Red River near St. Adolphe, south of Winnipeg.

“This time was used to determine the potential impact of the shutdown on supply and to judiciously mitigate the possibility of panic purchasing and a supply crunch,” a spokesperson for the Manitoba government said in an emailed response to questions about the delay.

Fuel was transported by truck and rail in the interim. Several gas stations navigated shortages in the early days of the repairs; some ran out of gas altogether.

The government’s handling of the Imperial pipeline saga has raised questions for legal experts about transparency and oversight.

“The right to access information around the environment should be a universal right,” Alan Andrews, a Vancouver-based environmental lawyer working with the environmental charity Ecojustice, said in an interview earlier this summer.

“Transparency is really critical to an effective inspection regime.”

A spokesperson for the Manitoba government said by email that when it was notified of the pipeline concerns on March 8, Imperial Oil said the pipeline would be cleared for repair by March 16.

“During this time, the province worked closely with all fuel suppliers and distributors to identify alternate means of transporting fuel and to ensure that supply would be met with as little impact to the consumer as possible,” the spokesperson said.

Imperial Oil pipeline signs in March this year just south of St. Adolphe, near the Red River. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

Imperial Oil pipeline signs in March this year just south of St. Adolphe, near the Red River. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

The spokesperson did not specifically answer questions about when government inspectors arrived on site, saying “provincial inspectors, as well as Imperial staff, were on site to confirm that no spillage occurred during this time. On average, both petroleum and environmental provincial inspectors were on site multiple times a week throughout the shutdown.”

The department was understaffed at the time the shutdown was announced, documents show.

In an email intended to help update Manitoba’s premier on provincial pipeline regulations and inspection staffing levels, Jeff Kraynyk, the assistant deputy minister for the minerals, petroleum and geoscience branch, explained inspection staff had been cut from five full-time positions to four in 2021 and two positions had been largely vacant since 2022.

In an interview earlier this summer, Manitoba Environment Minister Tracy Schmidt said the Imperial Oil incident “really highlighted some of the gaps, perhaps, in governmental oversight,” adding the department had been “decimated” by cuts under the previous government.

As a result, she said, environmental inspections across the province — be it oil and gas or otherwise — were reduced by half.

As staff circulated a March 13 internal briefing note outlining Imperial’s plan to replace 1,500 feet of pipeline for “preventative repair,” members of Schmidt’s department were looking for information on the inspection and repair history of the pipeline.

The Winnipeg Products Pipeline was shut down from March until late June due to safety concerns.  (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)
The Winnipeg Products Pipeline was shut down from March until late June due to safety concerns. (Mikaela MacKenzie / Free Press files)

In an email to a member of Schmidt’s staff, Kraynyk said provincial inspectors were on site for repairs to other sections of the pipeline in 2022 and 2016. The company had completed two inspections of its own, using surveying equipment to “assess the thickness, pittings, obstructions, asymmetrical anomalies, etc.,” along the length of the pipeline in 2023.

An analysis earlier this summer by the Free Press/The Narhwhal revealed government inspectors conduct few formal, documented inspections. Staff informally visit and inspect oil and gas infrastructure, but there are no records of these inspections.

According to a provincial spokesperson, there were a total of 13 formal inspections for all 5,000 kilometres of active pipelines and flowlines in the last five years.

Instead, Manitoba relies on the oil industry to conduct its own monitoring, inspections and remediation. Those activities are documented for the province through annual reports.

Transparency is critical to effective monitoring — both between the regulator and industry and with the public, according to Andrews, the lawyer with Ecojustice.

“The risk of this self-regulation model is that industry has no real incentive for being transparent and owning up to their mistakes,” he said in an interview earlier this summer.

julia-simone.rutgers@freepress.mb.ca

Julia-Simone Rutgers

Julia-Simone Rutgers
Reporter

Julia-Simone Rutgers is the Manitoba environment reporter for the Free Press and The Narwhal. She joined the Free Press in 2020, after completing a journalism degree at the University of King’s College in Halifax, and took on the environment beat in 2022. Read more about Julia-Simone.

Julia-Simone’s role is part of a partnership with The Narwhal, funded by the Winnipeg Foundation. Every piece of reporting Julia-Simone produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Build the resources to help children with speech

Britney Morrish and Bonnie Bricker 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine your daughter says her first word later than her friends do. You wait, hoping she will catch up. By age three, she still is not putting words together the way other kids her age are. Your doctor refers you to a speech-language pathologist. You expect a call within a few weeks.

Instead, you wait. Six months. A year. Two years.

By the time your daughter is finally seen, she is heading into kindergarten. She still struggles to tell her teacher she needs the bathroom. She still cannot explain when something hurts. She still cannot join in the games her classmates play, because those games need more words than she has.

As a parent, your anxiety grows, the frustration leading to sleepless nights worrying about how your child’s life will be impacted by this lack of support. The rest of your family and circle of friends is deeply affected by this potential crisis, they can see you struggling, you feel the stain of stigma attaching itself to your precious daughter. Where can you turn to help your child?

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

Kids need some sense of split parents’ situation

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: On our last day at a beach rental cabin the kids and I were packing up later than the rules asked for, when a familiar car pulled in next door. It was my ex-husband with his new woman and her kids.

My children yelled out, “Look Mom, it’s Daddy! He came to the lake to see us!” and ran over to him for hugs. His girlfriend had the cabin keys dangling, nodded at me, and went inside quickly.

I said to my former husband, “Fancy meeting you here! Come on kids, we’re going home now.” My ex said, “Oh, settle down. Give me a few minutes with my kids, will you?”

So, I finished packing and locked the cabin door, and waited for the kids for 30 minutes in our car. Then I started to cry. It just came gushing out and I couldn’t control it. Finally, my ex brought the children back out. He could see I’d been crying and said in disgust, “Get over it, princess. I have!”