WEATHER ALERT

Arts & Life

Indian City’s Juno nod a testament to late frontman’s dedication

Alan Small 6 minute read Yesterday at 7:00 PM CST

It was a proud yet bittersweet moment Tuesday morning for Vince Fontaine’s family and Indian City, his musical family.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Weather

WEATHER ALERT This morning: Variable cloudiness -27°c Variable cloudiness This afternoon: Cloudy with sunny breaks -18°c Cloudy with sunny breaks

Winnipeg MB
-28°C, Ice crystals

Full Forecast

Curry Up puts Mexican spin on Indian cuisine

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Curry Up puts Mexican spin on Indian cuisine

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:00 PM CST

If you blend Indian and Mexican cuisine, it will come out… as Canadian fast food?

Read
Yesterday at 7:00 PM CST

SUPPLIED

Dishes from Curry Up restaurant feature burritos, tacos, bowls and quesadillas with an Indian twist.

Brunch offers a reservation-free, low-cost way to check out the resto on the river

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

Brunch offers a reservation-free, low-cost way to check out the resto on the river

Eva Wasney 4 minute read 2:03 AM CST

Long johns, wool socks, a thermal shirt and a fleece sweater. A knitted neckwarmer, toque, gloves, floor-length parka and lined boots. Sunglasses to save my eyeballs from the bright and deceptively warm sun streaming through the windows. Are snow pants overkill?

Read
2:03 AM CST

Eva Wasney / Winnipeg Free Press

RAW:almond’s brunch gives Winnipeggers a chance to experience the city’s unique dining experience without needing reservations and without the $225 per person price.

A look at some of the key categories at this year’s Juno Awards

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Preview

A look at some of the key categories at this year’s Juno Awards

The Canadian Press 1 minute read Yesterday at 10:47 AM CST

Here's a look at the Juno Awards nominees in some of the key categories:

ARTIST OF THE YEAR

Avril Lavigne

Lauren Spencer-Smith

Read
Yesterday at 10:47 AM CST

Avril Lavigne performs during the Juno Awards in Toronto on Sunday, May 15, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

If it’s cool and you dig it, enter it in Cool Digs

AV Kitching 3 minute read Preview

If it’s cool and you dig it, enter it in Cool Digs

AV Kitching 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CST

Grab your shovels and get building.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CST

Owen Swendrowski-Yerex packs snow into boxes to build a fort at St. John’s Park last week. (Jessica Lee / Winnipeg Free Press)

Ozzy Osbourne cancels 2023 European tour dates, cites injury

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Ozzy Osbourne cancels 2023 European tour dates, cites injury

The Associated Press 2 minute read 2:43 AM CST

Hard rock legend Ozzy Osbourne announced the cancellation of his 2023 tour dates in the U.K. and continental Europe.

Osbourne issued a statement early Wednesday saying damage to his spine suffered in an accident four years ago will prevent him from touring.

“I am honestly humbled by the way you’ve all patiently held onto your tickets for all this time, but in all good conscience, I have now come to the realization that I’m not physically capable of doing my upcoming European/UK tour dates, as I know I couldn’t deal with the travel required," Osbourne said.

The 74-year-old Grammy winner and former vocalist for the metal band Black Sabbath said “my singing voice is fine” but said he remained physically weak following three operations, stem cell treatments, physical therapy and Hybrid Assistive Limb treatment, which uses a robotic exoskeleton to help improve movement and balance.

Read
2:43 AM CST

FILE - Ozzy Osbourne arrives at the 62nd annual Grammy Awards at the Staples Center on Jan. 26, 2020, in Los Angeles. Osbourne announced the cancellation of his 2023 tour dates in the UK and continental Europe, in a statement issued on early Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2023. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

French Quarter Festival unveils lineup for 40th anniversary

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

French Quarter Festival unveils lineup for 40th anniversary

The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 7:57 PM CST

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Organizers on Tuesday announced a lineup of more than 270 acts for New Orleans' 40th annual French Quarter Festival, billed as Louisiana's largest free showcase of music, food and culture.

Artists scheduled to perform at the April 13-16 event include Irma Thomas, Ani DiFranco, Tank and the Bangas, blues guitarist Samantha Fish and a collaboration between the Soul Rebels and bounce rap artist Big Freedia, organizers said.

The event launches three weeks of musical festivities in the city, with the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival taking place the last weekend of April and first weekend of May.

What began decades ago as an open call for local musicians to perform on six stages on Royal and Bourbon Streets has expanded into an event with 20 stages that welcomes over 825,000 people and is a critical economic driver for the city, French Quarter Festival organizers said.

Read
Yesterday at 7:57 PM CST

FILE - The Mardi Gras Indian Orchestra performs during the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans, April 13, 2014. Organizers on Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023, announced a lineup of more than 270 acts for New Orleans' 40th annual French Quarter Festival, billed as Louisiana's largest free showcase of music, food and culture. (Kathleen Flynn/The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate via AP)

Diversions

See More

More Arts & Life

<p>Puzzles Palace is home to your favourite word games and brain teasers.  Enjoy seven Sudokus, five crosswords (including the Thomas Joseph and Premier) as well as two new puzzles: Word Sleuth and Plus One. </p>

Challenge yourself in Puzzles Palace

Puzzles Palace is home to your favourite word games and brain teasers. Enjoy seven Sudokus, five crosswords (including the Thomas Joseph and Premier) as well as two new puzzles: Word Sleuth and Plus One.

Gunn’s new DC slate features Superman, Supergirl and Batman

Jake Coyle, The Associated Press 4 minute read Preview

Gunn’s new DC slate features Superman, Supergirl and Batman

Jake Coyle, The Associated Press 4 minute read Yesterday at 1:19 PM CST

NEW YORK (AP) — New DC Studios bosses James Gunn and Peter Safran debuted their plans for a revamped and newly unified DC Universe of films and television series, including a new Superman film in 2025, a Wonder Woman prequel and a Batman movie that won't star Robert Pattinson.

In all, Gunn and Safran laid out plans for five new films and five new series in a presentation Tuesday that they said would constitute much of the first chapter — themed as “Gods and Monsters” — in an ambitious eight- to 10-year plan to reshape the DCU. After years of fitful success and some much-maligned duds, Gunn and Safran are making their bid for some cohesion and fresh creativity in Warner Bros.' comic book empire.

After a several inherited projects debut in the next two years — including “The Flash,” with Ezra Miller, which Gunn said “resets the entire DC Universe” — their slate will launch with “Superman: Legacy" on July 11, 2025. Gunn is writing that film, which is described as about Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. No casting has yet been announced, though Henry Cavill has departed the role despite a recent cameo in 2022's “Black Adam” — a sequel to which also isn't part of Gunn and Safran's plans despite Dwayne Johnson's impassioned lobbying.

Who's in and who's out at DC has been the subject of much conjecture since October, when Gunn and Safran were named co-chairmen and co-chief executive officers of DC Studios. Among those making the cut: Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, the Swamp Thing and a Batman and Robin film.

Read
Yesterday at 1:19 PM CST

This image released by Warner Bros. Pictures shows Ezra Miller in a scene from "Justice League." James Gunn and Peter Safran, co-chairmen and CEOs of DC Studios, debuted their plans for a revamped and newly unified DC Universe of films, including "The Flash." (Clay Enos/Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. via AP)

Winnipeg New Music Festival kicks off with first of five concerts

Holly Harris 4 minute read Preview

Winnipeg New Music Festival kicks off with first of five concerts

Holly Harris 4 minute read Sunday, Jan. 29, 2023

The 2023 Winnipeg New Music Festival promised us ancestral tales with its opening, same-titled concert presented Saturday night. But it didn’t tell us that an explosive combustion of genre-bending, cultural forces could pack an emotional wallop able to carry us well into the future and beyond.

The annual celebration of contemporary music that runs through Friday, Feb. 3 presented its first of five evening concerts, “Ancestral Tales,” featuring five diverse works led by WSO music director and WNMF artistic director Daniel Raiskin.

Read
Sunday, Jan. 29, 2023

Steve Salnikowski photo

Winnipeg-born throat-boxer Nelson Tagoona performed live at the 2023 Winnipeg New Music Festival concert.

Will Smith, Martin Lawrence reteaming for ‘Bad Boys’ sequel

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

Will Smith, Martin Lawrence reteaming for ‘Bad Boys’ sequel

The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:43 AM CST

NEW YORK (AP) — Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are reteaming for a fourth “Bad Boys” movie, in one of Smith's most high-profile new projects since the slap.

Sony Pictures announced Tuesday that the untitled “Bad Boys” sequel is in early pre-production. In a video posted on Instagram, Smith filmed himself driving to Lawrence's house. Embracing at the door, Smith exclaims, “It's about that time!”

Development on the “Bad Boys” sequel, which follows 2020's “Bad Boys for Life,” was reportedly put on hold after Smith hit Chris Rock at last March's Academy Awards. But last May, Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman disputed those reports.

“There weren’t any brakes to pump because the car wasn’t moving,” said Rothman. “That was a very unfortunate thing that happened, and I don’t think it’s really my place to comment, except to say that I’ve known Will Smith for many years, and I know him to be a good person. That was an example of a very good person having a very bad moment, in front of the world. I believe his apology and regret is genuine, and I believe in forgiveness and redemption.”

Read
Yesterday at 11:43 AM CST

FILE - Co-stars Will Smith, left, and Martin Lawrence appear at a photo call for their film "Bad Boys for Life", in Paris on Jan. 6, 2020. Smith and Lawrence are teaming up for a fourth “Bad Boys” movie, in one of Smith’s most high-profile new projects since he slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars. Sony Pictures announced Tuesday that the untitled “Bad Boys” sequel is in early pre-production. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus, File)

LOAD MORE