Fringe fest heading to attendance record

Advertisement

Advertise with us

THE Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival continued its seemingly inevitable march to a new attendance record Wednesday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/07/2014 (4410 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

THE Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival continued its seemingly inevitable march to a new attendance record Wednesday.

Festival organizers tallied 9,481 tickets sold for Wednesday’s 120 performances, including 23 sold-out shows, executive producer Chuck McEwen said Thursday.

The numbers add to Tuesday’s box-office success, which had 9,284 tickets sold for 119 shows, 20 of which were sellouts. Also, three of the first four days of the festival were record-setters.

The festival wraps up Sunday night.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read Preview

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read 5:00 AM CDT

Late summer can feel neither here nor there.

As on a Sunday night, a certain back-to-school or -work melancholy sets in. The big Manitoba festivals have come and gone. You’re starting to take a reckoning of all the craft beer and food-truck calories you’ve sopped up for two months, without having done as much hiking, canoeing or yard work as you promised yourself.

The wind begins breathing threats of fall, but the golden colours, jack-o’- lanterns and corn mazes aren’t here yet to reassure you of fall’s dusky pleasures. Instead, on a perfect 22 C day, you find yourself having flashbacks of Winnipeg winter nights colder than Mars.

Are we being overly depressing? Absolutely.

Read
5:00 AM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Letters, Aug 21

6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

911 action essential

The latest revelations about repeated 911 service outages in Manitoba should alarm every Manitoban. When someone dials 911, they should never have to wonder whether their call will actually reach an emergency operator. Lives can depend on those few seconds.

Manitobans need answers — and, more importantly, action.

Bell Canada says its existing systems and contingency plans are designed to protect 911 service, while pointing to the transition to next-generation 911 technology by 2027 as the long-term solution.

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026