Top News
River East Transcona targets library technicians for layoffs
3 minute read 11:52 AM CDTA Winnipeg school division known for its high standards for library services is laying off technicians and assigning remaining employees to oversee multiple collections in order to balance its budget.
River East Transcona School Division, in which roughly 17,000 students are registered, notified employees about “restructuring” plans for kindergarten-to-Grade 12 libraries last week.
Affected library technicians — whose current duties include undertaking clerical work, cataloging materials and helping students sign out books — have been given the option to retire, resign or apply for a modified position.
There are currently 42 positions in charge of managing daily operations in book and media centres across RETSD — or 34 full-time equivalent library technicians, given some employees have multiple part-time jobs.
This Just In
Firefighters battle three blazes Friday morning
Winnipeg firefighters responded to three fires in the span of a few hours Friday morning.
An apartment in the Sage Creek neighborhood caught fire shortly after 8 a.m., with firefighters responding to the 100 block of Des Hivernants Boulevard North.
The blaze was under control in less than twenty minutes. No people were injured, but a dog required medical attention, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said.
Investigators are looking into the cause of the blaze and no damage estimates are available.
Minutes later, firefighters elsewhere in the city responded to a fire within a vacant home in the 400 block of Ross Avenue.
Around 8:30 a.m., crews arrived to find smoke billowing from the home. Firefighters doused the flames from above using aerial ladders.
The building, which was the site of another fire March 26, was deemed unstable, so the WFPS ordered an emergency demolition.
The WFPS did not say if anybody was injured, and the cause of the latest blaze is under investigation.
A two-storey home in the 100 block of Hart Avenue burned around 10:30 a.m. It was under control within an hour with no injuries reported.
Investigators believe the fire started in the chimney, WFPS said.
Investigation into fatal assault spree ends with four arrests
Winnipeg police have arrested four suspects in relation to a spate of assaults in Point Douglas that left three people dead last summer.
The suspects and victims did not know each other, the Winnipeg Police Service said in a release Friday.
On August 22, 2022, Danielle Ballantyne, 36, Marvin Felix, 54, and Troy Baguley, 51, were seriously assaulted. Ballantyne was found dead inside a Jarvis Avenue apartment, while Felix died of his injuries days later.
Baguley, who suffered life-altering damage in the attack, never recovered from his injuries and died March 3, 2023.
On March 21, investigators arrested 21-year-old Tristan Colten Moose at Headingley Correctional Centre, charging him with second-degree murder in relation to Baguley, police said.
Officers have also arrested three youths, ages 14-, 15-, and 16-years-old.
The elder teens were arrested shortly after the assault and held at the Manitoba Youth Centre, while the younger teen was arrested at his home April 5.
Police have finished their investigation and all four suspects remain in custody, police said.
Three charged in Wasagamack shooting
Island Lake RCMP have arrested three people in connection to the shooting of a Wasagamack First Nation man on Monday.
The victim, 27, had to be flown to Winnipeg for medical treatment after he was injured around 12:35 p.m., RCMP said. He remains in hospital. Mounties initially arrested a 35-year-old man early Tuesday morning, but he's since been released without charge.
A 23-year-old man has been charged with aggravated assault, discharging a firearm with intent, careless use of a firearm and using a firearm in the commission of an offence. He's still in custody, RCMP said.
Two men, 27 and 31, are charged with obstruction for trying to enter and then clean a crime scene the community's safety officers had secured. They're still in custody.
Woman slain in Thompson
RCMP are investigating after a woman was found dead in a house in Thompson last month.
Thompson RCMP said on Thursday the 36-year-old woman was found and pronounced dead in a residence on Grey Wolf Bay on March 24.
But RCMP said it wasn’t until an autopsy was done that officers confirmed she was the victim of a homicide on April 4.
Anyone with any information about the incident is asked to call RCMP at either 204-677-6909 or 204-677-6911, or leave an anonymous tip at Crime Stoppers at either 1-800-222-8477 or manitobacrimestoppers.com.
Walk this way
JESSICA LEE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Archbishop Richard Gagnon walks carrying a cross on Osborne St. on Friday for the Way of the Cross walk. Hundreds joined him in singing and reflecting while they walked.
Tories accused of playing politics with MPI
5 minute read Preview Yesterday at 6:59 PM CDTCreating goodness with every Easter egg
4 minute read Preview 9:23 AM CDTFamilies minister receives initial report on Link services
2 minute read Preview Yesterday at 7:13 PM CDTRussia hits illegally annexed Ukraine areas from ground, air
5 minute read Preview Updated: 2:01 PM CDTNorth Dakota at ‘crossroads’ as major flood fears rise
3 minute read Preview Updated: Yesterday at 9:40 PM CDTPatients, critics question the way Manitoba’s physician watchdog handles cases of misconduct and discipline
12 minute read Preview Updated: Yesterday at 5:05 PM CDTIndigenous friendship centre to rise again in Winnipeg
4 minute read Preview Yesterday at 6:51 PM CDTWinter uses of city golf courses debated
4 minute read Preview Yesterday at 5:01 PM CDTKiller’s father outs witnesses as ‘rats’
5 minute read Preview Updated: Yesterday at 12:38 PM CDTColumnists
- Focus should be on mental-health supports to save police lives 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:00 PM CDT
- What Linda Beardy needed was love; an apathetic society offered a trash bin 5 minute read Yesterday at 7:00 PM CDT
- Canadian history gets spritz of hairspray 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 1:11 PM CDT
More Top News
-
Homeowners sue rental company in wake of destructive house party
Yesterday at 3:26 PM CDT -
Jets focused on pesky Predators
Updated: Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT -
Province directs more than $24K to campaign fighting racism in sport
Updated: Yesterday at 12:01 PM CDT -
What’s open, closed this Easter weekend
Updated: Yesterday at 2:28 PM CDT -
Filipinos nailed to crosses despite church objection
Updated: 8:22 AM CDT -
Strike action called off at colleges
Updated: 11:46 AM CDT -
Tomson Highway brings lauded memoir to book club
Yesterday at 7:21 PM CDT -
Advertisement
-
Canadian woman back from Syria released on bail
12:28 PM CDT -
Suzuki steps down from 'The Nature of Things'
9:01 AM CDT -
500K without power following Quebec ice storm
Updated: 1:56 PM CDT -
Dead migrants' family unaware of U.S. plan
6:00 AM CDT -
How N.S. mass shooter's smuggling was missed
6:00 AM CDT -
Man charged with murder of accused killer
Updated: Yesterday at 3:51 PM CDT -
Advertisement
-
Russia hits illegally annexed Ukraine areas from ground, air
Updated: 2:01 PM CDT -
Court sides with Justice Dept. on Jan. 6 obstruction charge
Updated: 2:08 PM CDT -
Paul Cattermole of UK pop group S Club 7 dies at 46
11:39 AM CDT -
Report: Russia charges Journal reporter with espionage
Updated: 11:43 AM CDT -
Advertisement
LOAD MORE

