Top News

Co-accused in recent homicides has past robbery, theft convictions

Erik Pindera 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:55 PM CST

One of the Winnipeg men arrested in a linked pair of recent slayings in the inner city was drawn back into crime following his mother’s 2019 cancer death, court has heard.

This Just In

Fire sends one person to hospital and injures two dogs

Wednesday, 8:05 PM CST

One person was taken to hospital after a fire broke out inside a home in the Maples just before noon Wednesday, according to the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service.

Two dogs injured in the blaze on Penny Lane were treated at the scene by paramedics and then transferred to the city’s animal services agency.

About an hour earlier, WFPS crews battled a blaze at a home in the 300 block of Riverton Avenue in Elmwood.

Both fires are under investigation.

Two arrested after loaded pistol found in hotel suite

Wednesday, 1:44 PM CST

Two people were arrested Tuesday after cleaning staff at a hotel near Polo Park mall found a handgun in a suite.

Winnipeg police were called to the hotel about the gun, after staff went into a room after the guests failed to check out. Two people who had stayed at the room came back when police were at the hotel and officers arrested them.

Police said the gun was a loaded .40 calibre Glock pistol with an extended magazine and an auto sear, which is a device that converts the weapon to fully automatic.

A man and a woman from Grand Rapids, both 22, will each be charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a loaded prohibited or restricted firearm, and two counts of unauthorized possession of a prohibited device or ammunition. They were released on undertakings.

Two killed in head-on collision near Neepawa

Wednesday, 11:56 AM CST

Two people are dead and two were injured after a head-on collision near Neepawa on Tuesday.

Spruce Plains RCMP said on Wednesday that a westbound vehicle driven by a 45-year-old woman crossed the centre line of Hwy. 16 about eight kilometres east of Neepawa and struck an SUV at about 2:25 p.m.

RCMP said the woman, and a 16-year-old male passenger, both from Neepawa, were pronounced dead at the scene while the 81-year-old man driving the SUV and a 75-year-old female passenger, both from Plumas, were taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

All were wearing seatbelts at the time and RCMP continues to investigate.

 

 

Police seek suspect in traffic death

Wednesday, 11:07 AM CST

A suspect in a fatal motor vehicle collision last year can’t be found by police.

Winnipeg police have been trying to find Christian Grant Patchinose, 28, of Winnipeg, since a warrant was issued for his arrest on Jan. 24, and are now asking the public for help.

Police said Patchinose was the driver of an SUV which officers tried to stop in the Deer Lodge area on May 30, 2022 at about 12:45 a.m., before the vehicle took off. Officers later found the SUV had hit a tree in the 400 block of Truro Street.

A 22-year-old woman was rushed to hospital but died of her injuries while Patchinose and a 16-year-old girl were taken to hospital in unstable condition. They both survived.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 204-986-6508 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).

 

 

Hide Caption Christian Grant Patchinose. (Handout)
Christian Grant Patchinose. (Handout)

BU officials increase security after discarded ammunition found on campus

Wednesday, 9:36 AM CST

Officials at Brandon University are enhancing security patrols after a cartridge of small-caliber ammunition was found on the campus Tuesday afternoon.

In an email to students and administration, the university said the single, unfired .22 cartridge was found on the floor, which appears to have been accidentally discarded.

The university called the Brandon Police Service, which picked up the ammunition and did not recommend further action. "There is no indication of a threat... and no firearm was seen," the university email read.

The university said it increased security patrols out of an abundance of caution, adding the discovery could spark anxiety or alarm, especially in light of the shooting at Michigan State University in the U.S. Monday night, which killed three people and injured five.

Blowing snow closes highways, including part of Trans-Canada

Tuesday, 9:33 PM CST

Several highways, including a portion of the Trans-Canada, have been closed in southern Manitoba due to dangerous conditions from blowing snow.

The Trans-Canada, from Winnipeg's eastern city limits to Highway 12, has been closed. Several other highways have been shut down, including Highway 23, from St. Malo to Highway 34; Highway 3, from Crystal City to Sanford; and  Highway 13, from Carman to Elm Creek

For a list of up-to-date closures, go to www.manitoba511.ca.

 

 

Jets assign forward Jonsson-Fjallby to Moose after he clears waivers

Tuesday, 7:03 PM CST

The Winnipeg Jets have assigned forward Axel Jonsson-Fjallby to the Manitoba Moose after he cleared waivers on Tuesday afternoon.

Jonsson-Fjallby, 25, has 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in 45 NHL games this season.

His demotion makes room for defenceman Dylan DeMelo to be activated off injured reserve in time for tonight's game against the Seattle Kraken.

Three charged after armed standoff

Tuesday, 1:57 PM CST

Three suspects have been arrested after an armed standoff at Sapotaweyak Cree Nation.

Swan River RCMP said a 29-year-old man was taken to Swan Valley Health Centre with non-life threatening injuries after being assaulted on the reserve at about 10:25 a.m. Friday.

About a half hour later, two other men — aged 50 and 42 — said they also had been assaulted.

While searching for two male suspects, aged 27 and 19, RCMP were told there were people armed with knives and machetes refusing to leave a home on the reserve that evening.

When officers walked up to the house, a suspect armed with a machete yelled at them before slamming the door, RCMP said.
Mounties set up a perimeter around the house. A few suspects surrendered after several hours.

Two men, aged 27 and 22, have been charged with assault and assault with a weapon and have been remanded into custody. An 18-year-old man is charged with seven counts of assault with a weapon and was released from custody, with a scheduled March 15 court date in Winnipeg.

Several other suspects were also detained, and charges are pending, RCMP said.

Sapotaweyak Cree Nation is located nearly 600 km north of Winnipeg.

Winnipeg man dead after Highway 59 collision

Tuesday, 12:21 PM CST

A 59-year-old Winnipeg man is dead after a collision on Highway 59 Monday evening.

An RCMP officer on patrol on the highway came upon the two-vehicle collision, just north of Stead Road, in the RM of St. Clements at about 8:40 p.m.

Mounties think the Winnipeg man's vehicle was travelling north on the highway when it hit the shoulder and over-corrected, striking a southbound SUV.

The Winnipeg man, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected from his vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene. The other driver, a 57-year-old man from St. Clements, was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

The Chicks play downtown arena Sept. 12

Tuesday, 11:56 AM CST

The Chicks, the country trio that includes Natalie Maines, Martie Maguire and Emily Strayer, will take the stage at the Canada Life Centre Sept. 12.

Tickets go on sale to at ticketmaster.ca Feb. 17 at 10 a.m., but there are presales scheduled to start Wednesday. Ticket prices have not been announced.

The Chicks, who have earned 13 Grammy Awards since their debut record in 1998, returned to prominence in 2020 with their album Gaslighter. They will be joined by another Grammy-winning artist, Maren Morris, who won a Grammy for best country solo performance in 2017 for the song My Church.

Kenora man arrested in bus stop machete attack

Erik Pindera 3 minute read Preview

Kenora man arrested in bus stop machete attack

Erik Pindera 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:19 PM CST

A man who was randomly attacked with a machete after getting off a bus in St. James last week nearly had his leg severed at the knee and might have to have it amputated, the Free Press has learned.

Read
Yesterday at 2:19 PM CST

A bus passenger was attacked with a machete by another rider around the intersection of Ness Avenue and Mount Royal Road last week. (Gabrielle Piché / Winnipeg Free Press)

‘I’m really optimistic’: communication upgrades follow young student transit ordeal

Maggie Macintosh 3 minute read Preview

‘I’m really optimistic’: communication upgrades follow young student transit ordeal

Maggie Macintosh 3 minute read Yesterday at 4:08 PM CST

Confusion reigns about why a six-year-old spent more than 90 minutes in transit after the first day of school and division staff could not tell the family where he was. However, the boy’s father says recent communication improvements are a promising sign of much-needed change.

“We never did find out where Eddie’s incredible journey took him — where he ended up, who discovered the error, what happened to him or why exactly it happened,” said John Kovacs, who has three children enrolled in Winnipeg’s River East Transcona School Division.

Kovacs said this week he has accepted he may never know the events that unfolded Sept. 7, but is pleased with RETSD’s response to improve school transportation and information-sharing with families in the months since.

Read
Yesterday at 4:08 PM CST

The River East Transcona School Division Administration Offices at 589 Roch Street. (Daniel Crump / Winnipeg Free Press files)

Wellington Crescent condos get green light

Joyanne Pursaga 3 minute read Preview

Wellington Crescent condos get green light

Joyanne Pursaga 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:39 PM CST

A controversial Wellington Crescent condominium project will proceed after years of neighbourhood complaints and rejections by city hall.

Read
Yesterday at 5:39 PM CST

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

The house at 514 Wellington Crescent was torn down in November 2020 after a long battle with area residents and heritage advocates who wanted it saved.

Leacock House heritage intact for now

3 minute read Preview

Leacock House heritage intact for now

3 minute read Yesterday at 1:28 PM CST

City council’s most powerful committee wants to keep one of Winnipeg’s oldest heritage buildings intact.

The executive policy committee voted Tuesday to keep Leacock House (442 Scotia St.), which was built in 1878, on the city’s list of historical resources. That heritage designation protects it from being demolished.

Read
Yesterday at 1:28 PM CST

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Leacock House (442 Scotia St.)

Lions Place under new ownership, residents told

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Preview

Lions Place under new ownership, residents told

Carol Sanders 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:46 PM CST

Anxious Lions Place tenants, who’ve known for weeks that their non-profit apartment complex was being sold to a Calgary real estate investment firm, got the news they’ve been dreading Wednesday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:46 PM CST

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Tenants of Lion's Place received a letter Wednesday confirming the sale of the building to a Calgary real estate investment firm.

Rugged East Selkirk hoopster makes homecoming with U of C Dinos

Mike Sawatzky 4 minute read Preview

Rugged East Selkirk hoopster makes homecoming with U of C Dinos

Mike Sawatzky 4 minute read Yesterday at 4:56 PM CST

Mason Foreman is a basketball player with some tendencies of an old-school hockey player. He appears to be very adept at sacrificing his body for the good of the team.

Read
Yesterday at 4:56 PM CST

DAVID MOLL / UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY

The University of Calgary’s Mason Foreman plays a rugged style of basketball that has seen him sustain numerous injuries over the course of his career.

RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki to retire in March

Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki to retire in March

Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:52 PM CST

OTTAWA - RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki said Wednesday she has made the difficult decision to retire from the national police force next month.

There has been speculation about Lucki's future as she approaches the end of a five-year term marked by numerous challenges and controversies.

Her turbulent time as the top Mountie included the worst mass shooting in modern Canadian history, the COVID-19 pandemic, and protests that paralyzed downtown Ottawa and several border crossings early last year.

In April 2018, she assumed command of a police force riven by internal dissension over long-standing issues of bullying and harassment.

Read
Yesterday at 2:52 PM CST

RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki looks on during Canada Day celebrations at Lebreton Flats in Ottawa, on Friday, July 1, 2022. Lucki says she has decided to retire and her last day will be March 17. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

U-Haul driver must undergo mental evaluation in NYC attack

The Associated Press 2 minute read Preview

U-Haul driver must undergo mental evaluation in NYC attack

The Associated Press 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:49 PM CST

NEW YORK (AP) — The driver of a U-Haul truck that barreled through a New York City neighborhood, killing a food delivery worker and injuring eight other people, will have to undergo a psychiatric evaluation while in custody, a judge ordered Wednesday.

Weng Sor, who was charged with murder and attempted murder in connection with Monday’s deadly rampage, made his first court appearance in Brooklyn. The judge ordered him to remain in custody without bail.

Police have said he was suffering from an apparent mental health crisis when he mowed down bicyclists, moped riders and at least one pedestrian over 48 minutes.

Police said Sor, 62, referred to an “invisible object” that came at him, prompting him to go careening through streets before a police cruiser pinned the truck against a building near the entrance to a tunnel leading from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Read
Yesterday at 3:49 PM CST

Weng Sor is walked by New York Police Department detectives out of the 68th Precinct in the Brooklyn borough of New York, Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2023. Sor, who went on a deadly rampage with a U-Haul truck the day before in New York City, was suffering from an apparent mental health crisis and said he started mowing people down after seeing an “invisible object” coming toward him, police said. (AP Photo/Stefan Jeremiah)

Columnists

See More

More Top News

LOAD MORE